Law on defacing Uk Coins

Are you sure they don’t buy a “coin” to put in the machine.

theyve had those penny changing macines around for years, i have one i changed at the fishing heritage place back in grimsby maybe 10 years back

theyve had those penny changing macines around for years, i have one i changed at the fishing heritage place back in grimsby maybe 10 years back

Many years ago I seem to remember one at the top of Blackpool tower, you bought a old coin and then rolled it flat in a machine, it came out with the tower printed on it.

Many years ago I seem to remember one at the top of Blackpool tower, you bought a old coin and then rolled it flat in a machine, it came out with the tower printed on it.

so if it were truely illegal to deface the coins these machines would have met with a swift demise

so if it were truely illegal to deface the coins these machines would have met with a swift demise

No you have missed the point, you gave the bloke a current coin, he gave you a pre-decimal coin or it may have even been a blank, I can’t remember, you then deface that coin.

No you have missed the point, you gave the bloke a current coin, he gave you a pre-decimal coin or it may have even been a blank, I can’t remember, you then deface that coin.

The machines I have come across have various complicated-looking levers and cogwheels to make it look as though they're rolling your penny flat, but they don't do any such thing. They swallow the penny and churn out a piece of copper-nickel alloy in the shape of a crushed penny.

The machines I have come across have various complicated-looking levers and cogwheels to make it look as though they're rolling your penny flat, but they don't do any such thing. They swallow the penny and churn out a piece of copper-nickel alloy in the shape of a crushed penny.

The ones I've seen actually crush the penny you put in, it's easy to follow it with your own eyes.

It's not illegal to deface coins anymore anyway.

EDIT: Need to try and find where i know this from, there's a chance I could be wrong.

I thought it was illegal to damage or deface British coins so I was surprised to see a machine at the entrance to the Millenium Galleries for stamping coins to impress a new logo on them. I've seen these machines in the States before, but never here and I thought that was because they are illegal.

Does anyone know the truth of the matter?

The two machines I've seen (one in Dublin Zoo, the other on the Mersey Ferry) have a note explaining the "law" and how these machines are allowed. If I get the boat home tonight I'll have a look.

Archived