Sunday teatime carvery in Derbyshire

Saxon

I certainly can. But the downside is, it's hard to find and it's a long drive from Sheff.:mad:

But, from Matlock it's about 15 mins.:)

It's called the Bear at Alderwasley. And just to make it interesting, it isn't in Alderwasley exactly.:suspect:

Go through Matlock and Matlock Bath. Turn right at the traffic lights on the A6 at Cromford and go up the very steep hill to Wirksworth. (Called Wirksworth hill funnily enough). At the top of that hill look out for a brown sign saying Black Rock. (Or is it a Black Sign saying Brown Rock). Anyhow, it's right at the apex of that hill, before you drop down into Wirksworth. Turn Left there. You go through a little tunnel and then just keep heading straight on. You come to a junction - with a pub on your right. But go straight on I said! :rant:

1 mile or so down there on your left - big white pub. :love:

No exaggeration - but I'd say it's the best carvery we've been to ANYWHERE in this country. :nod:Very, very good quality. A choice of Beef (well done), Beef (Medium), Pork, Turkey, Lamb, all the trimmings and sauces etc. And you can literally have as much as you want - you can have a piece of every meat if you fancy!:wow:

Plus, lovely rustic pub, good ales, big fires, oak beams, moorland views...

It really is worth a run out. Not surprising it's been voted Derbyshire's best food pub on many occasions in the past and recently.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

PS here you are mate - here's a link to it. See for yourself.

http://www.bear-hotel.com/

Archived