Should teenagers be in the Armed Forces.

It's an industry that is a way short of fulfilling its potential and one for whom the volume of business is rising.

Which other societies would find your views unacceptable?

They don't. They will be working for private grafitti removal services and working for cleaning equipment and chemical manufacturers, who are much in demand.

Hence the growth of private grafitti and gum removal firms

Hardworking criminals? - I'd rather have lazy, stay at home ones.

The idea of prison inmates working for private companies wasn't what I had in mind.

They would work under supervison of people like prison guards. Taken to the worksite in a prison van, dressed in brightkly coloured prison clothes, allowed work breaks and provided with food

There would be no sense in involving private companies other than to provide the necesssary materials. The idea is to keep the costs as low as possible.

Unfortunately this idea will stand no chance of ever coming about. There are too many weenies who would start to protest that such work is

"demeaning" ......... "inhumane"........."cruel and unusual punishment"..... "violating their civil rights" ( You pick one of them):D

The weenies always get their way anyhow

So let them idle away their time in prison. Fed, clothed and bored to death ( a recipe for trouble if ever there was one)

Certainly they should never be allowed into the army under any circumstances. The army has changed since the old days. It's a highly technical organisation these days and no place for miscreants allowed to run around with weapons that are 100 percent more lethal than they were 70 years ago. Also there is the matter of consideration for those who join voluntarily. Placing them alongside losers is an insult and would seriously impair morale

ALL teenagers should be shoved in the army at the age of 16 and not let out until they are about 23. These days those ' missing ' 7 years are made up by longevity. Society would be immeasurably safer, better, quieter........imagine no more Rap....or ' innits ' ......or grunts......or self-pitying whining-------Bliss !

They would be educated by the army [ if feasible ! ], learn trades and generally make themselves useful. Compared with the cost of lazing round universities......etc.....it would save us a fortune. Also, us senior citizens could safely and happily jaunt around town and spend our well-deserved pensions in peace.

ALL teenagers should be shoved in the army at the age of 16 and not let out until they are about 23. These days those ' missing ' 7 years are made up by longevity. Society would be immeasurably safer, better, quieter........imagine no more Rap....or ' innits ' ......or grunts......or self-pitying whining-------Bliss !

They would be educated by the army [ if feasible ! ], learn trades and generally make themselves useful. Compared with the cost of lazing round universities......etc.....it would save us a fortune. Also, us senior citizens could safely and happily jaunt around town and spend our well-deserved pensions in peace.

They used to have National Service. I was one of the last to be called up under NS.

The government decided that it was far more cost effective and better for morale to have an all volunteer army and in retrospect it it was the right way to go.

The idea of prison inmates working for private companies wasn't what I had in mind....

Unfortunately this idea will stand no chance of ever coming about. There are too many weenies who would start to protest that such work is

"demeaning" ......... "inhumane"........."cruel and unusual punishment"..... "violating their civil rights" ( You pick one of them):D

My point was the growing industry of grafitti removal and general cleaning, & indeed most fields of tedious hard work, are well catered for by people with paying jobs and who are using that small amount of money to support their families.

Get the prisoners to do their work for even more of a pittance and suddenly this sector of low paid workers, doing important but crappy jobs, are looking at a p45 and the private prison sector carries on trousering even more money for jobs done by people who couldn't give a rat's ass, because they're not going to get sacked.

My point was the growing industry of grafitti removal and general cleaning, & indeed most fields of tedious hard work, are well catered for by people with paying jobs and who are using that small amount of money to support their families.

Get the prisoners to do their work for even more of a pittance and suddenly this sector of low paid workers, doing important but crappy jobs, are looking at a p45 and the private prison sector carries on trousering even more money for jobs done by people who couldn't give a rat's ass, because they're not going to get sacked.

I've seen prisoners doing highway maintenance in Florida under supervision of the Florida Department of Corrections, simple jobs like cutting grass and picking up trash. I'm sure the state saves a bundle by doing this and they're not paying full time regular State employees salaries plus benefits to waste their time on such menial jobs.

If this wasn't practical financially I dont think the State would bother with such a program

The objective is to provide cheap labour for jobs that can be done without any specialized training and keeping young men occupied instead of sitting around in cells figuring out how to do each other in. Most prisoners would be glad of the opportunity to get out for a few hours each day anyway.

I dont think grafitti removal is suitable as a make work program to supplement low wage earners

Archived