Would solar panels put you off buying?

Would you buy a house with a solar panel scheme?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a house with a solar panel scheme?

• Free electric? That's the one I'm buying! Bin the others!
    • I'd be happy to take over the contract, if the small print is okay
    • Wouldn't put me off looking, but I'd want it removed before sale completion
    • Wouldn't even view a house with one (please tell why)
    • Who cares?

I think most people now know about the schemes where companies install their solar panels on your roof, let you have the free electricity, but they take the revenue from any excess fed back into the national grid...

... now it's one thing to decide for yourself to have this done to your property, but how would you feel about buying a house with this already done?

Would you be happy to take over the contract?

Would you agree to purchase only if it were removed?

Would you not even consider viewing a house if the pic showed it had these?

Would the idea of free electricity actually be
more
appealing?

By fuel do you mean gas and electric,if so i dont think £50 a months bad at all.

Quite so, but if a property had solar panels producing electricity, I would use that to run the central heating and boiler - so I could probably reduce the entire £50 bill to zero.

£600 a year will be considerably less than a lot of people are having to pay, but it's large enough to make solar panels a major plus point if we were looking to move.

Quite so, but if a property had solar panels producing electricity, I would use that to run the central heating and boiler - so I could probably reduce the entire £50 bill to zero.

Unless you wanted to use your central heating when it was dark ... :)

Free electricity is a huge benefit. Our current fuel bill is nearly fifty pounds a month and we have only a small property!

Free Electricity is a myth there was a program on the radio only this morning about solar panels the expert said only as a last resort have these so called free panels installed, i cannot remember all the things he said but one thing does stick in my mind is that you/they get paid for every bit of electricity you generate even the amount you use but the suppliers get that, and the small print is bad he also went on to say they over estimate the power of the panels and alot more things i carnt remember other than if you bought your own they would pay for themselves within about nine years whereas the other alternative is have the same ones there for 25 years

Really?

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/solar-panels-take-100-years-to-pay-back-installation-costs-917202.html

I'm not sure any one can come up with a viable figure for the return on Solar PV....lots too many variables.

i see your point but thats what the man said, if the above is true some people and installers are in for a nasty shock, some how i dont think the installers would have got there maths that wrong?

Free Electricity is a myth there was a program on the radio only this morning about solar panels the expert said only as a last resort have these so called free panels installed, i cannot remember all the things he said but one thing does stick in my mind is that you/they get paid for every bit of electricity you generate even the amount you use but the suppliers get that, and the small print is bad he also went on to say they over estimate the power of the panels and alot more things i carnt remember other than if you bought your own they would pay for themselves within about nine years whereas the other alternative is have the same ones there for 25 years

Yeh if you have 12k kicking around to install these, my Mum and Dad had them installed by A shade greener, there eleccy bill is more or less non existant now. So what if they dont make any profit from the panels they are getting free eleccy with NO financial layout.

Generally the people who have bad things to say about these are usually the same people who got turned down......Sour grapes??

Archived