Would solar panels put you off buying?

Would you buy a house with a solar panel scheme?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a house with a solar panel scheme?

• Free electric? That's the one I'm buying! Bin the others!
    • I'd be happy to take over the contract, if the small print is okay
    • Wouldn't put me off looking, but I'd want it removed before sale completion
    • Wouldn't even view a house with one (please tell why)
    • Who cares?

i see your point but thats what the man said, if the above is true some people and installers are in for a nasty shock, some how i dont think the installers would have got there maths that wrong?

Dunno..lets see how many of the "free electricity" companies are around in 5 or 10 years time...as for the people selling the panels well,they would say that wouldn't they? :)

Yeh if you have 12k kicking around to install these, my Mum and Dad had them installed by A shade greener, there eleccy bill is more or less non existant now. So what if they dont make any profit from the panels they are getting free eleccy with NO financial layout.

Generally the people who have bad things to say about these are usually the same people who got turned down......Sour grapes??

just for the record i have not been turned down not even applied, i am only repeating but another thing i remember is when do you need the power most winter when do these generate the least power? you guessed it

they only generate 4kw, so your electric shower won't run off them, and if you run a washer and dryer or dishwasher at the same time that'll take you over the 4kw too

To take best advantage you're really going too have to look at the way you use your power

For instance, we don't have an immersion heater, we have a combi boiler. It's probably worth our while looking into running the shower in the en suite off a hot water cylinder if we have these

There are now products which are designed to run on these systems such as an immersion which only switches on when there's spare capacity off the panels, so you get to 'keep' more of your generated electricity

I'm wondering though, if the volume of production to satisfy these companies' schemes will mean the price will plummet for anybody wanting to purchase their own...

Oooooo, what to do? Hmmmm

just for the record i have not been turned down not even applied, i am only repeating but another thing i remember is when do you need the power most winter when do these generate the least power? you guessed it

You would be suprised how much they still generate in Winter.

Really?

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/solar-panels-take-100-years-to-pay-back-installation-costs-917202.html

I'm not sure any one can come up with a viable figure for the return on Solar PV....lots too many variables.

The panels WILL pay for them selves within this time frame because of the Feed In Tariff the Government will pay you for having them. On average you will stand to get around £800 per year. If your system costs you £7-8,000 it will be paid for in 9/10 years. Your payments via the FIT is over 25 years so you will have made a profit before even considering the money saved on generating your own electricity and the power you sell back to the grid.

The panels WILL pay for them selves within this time frame because of the Feed In Tariff the Government will pay you for having them. On average you will stand to get around £800 per year. If your system costs you £7-8,000 it will be paid for in 9/10 years. Your payments via the FIT is over 25 years so you will have made a profit before even considering the money saved on generating your own electricity and the power you sell back to the grid.

The average cost for these to be installed is around £13k and in order to receive the FIT benefits it has to be installed by a registered MCS company. Their profit in supplying and installing them is around £2k for a 1-2 days at the most job, so for them its a lucrative business.

It would be better and cheaper for individuals to buy and install them but for some strange reason if they are not MCS approved they would not get the full FIT benefit. :huh:

Another thing to consider is they need to be fitted on a roof that is facing the right way and at the right incline.

I'm sure that the FIT will also be reduced in the future in the same way as it has done in other European countries that promoted similar schemes.

The average cost for these to be installed is around £13k and in order to receive the FIT benefits it has to be installed by a registered MCS company. Their profit in supplying and installing them is around £2k for a 1-2 days at the most job, so for them its a lucrative business.

It would be better and cheaper for individuals to buy and install them but for some strange reason if they are not MCS approved they would not get the full FIT benefit. :huh:

Another thing to consider is they need to be fitted on a roof that is facing the right way and at the right incline.

I'm sure that the FIT will also be reduced in the future in the same way as it has done in other European countries that promoted similar schemes.

I'm not sure where you are getting your figures from?

If you have been quoted 13K for a system by an MCS approved installer then you must either 'A' have a huge roof and would be looking at something way and above 20 panels or 'B' you are been massively overpriced!

Example: For a 18 panel system we would be looking in the region of £9/10K - A 18 panel system will give you a yearly FIT payment of: £1077. Depending on the site we work to having a system installed in a day.

The panels WILL pay for them selves within this time frame because of the Feed In Tariff the Government will pay you for having them. On average you will stand to get around £800 per year. ...

And whwere is the money the government is going to pay you going to come from? Will the government charge the electricity companies? (In which case, they will pass that charge on to their customers.) Or is the government going to charge the taxpayers?

Either way, free electricity is a myth. Somebody is going to pay - and that somebody will probably be the consumer.

Archived