Proof that some Politicians possess a spine.

Take a bow Mark Pritchard (con) who stood up to both bribes and then threats from Number 10 and David Cameron over his attempt to get a ban on circuses using wild animals.

"I may just be a little council house lad from a very poor background but that background gives me a backbone, it gives me a thick skin," he said.

"And I am not going to be kowtowed by the whips or even the prime minister of my country on an issue that I feel passionately about, that I have conviction about."

We need more MPs who are willing to tell their whips where to get off.

I think the main thing to take from this is not Mr Pritchard's views or actions but the fact that Came Ruin, like all tories, are just bullies who have a go at everyone they consider below them.

I think the main thing to take from this is not Mr Pritchard's views or actions but the fact that Came Ruin, like all tories, are just bullies who have a go at everyone they consider below them.

Unlike your heroes Tony Blair and Gordon Brown then. Or those other Labour bullies Alistair Campbell and Ed Balls.

Unlike your heroes Tony Blair and Gordon Brown then. Or those other Labour bullies Alistair Campbell and Ed Balls.
Oh noes, Mr Thecat, these individuals never used party line and whips on their MPs whilst in power :o

That was the Prince of Darkness' job :hihi:

We need more MPs who are willing to tell their whips where to get off.

We used to have independent MPs. It was a total fiasco, since nobody could ever pass an act of parliament to do anything. The only way that any government at all could be formed was for them to come together to work as a party, and agree to compromise on an overall manifesto even though each individual MP might object to certain parts of it.

We used to have independent MPs. It was a total fiasco, since nobody could ever pass an act of parliament to do anything. The only way that any government at all could be formed was for them to come together to work as a party, and agree to compromise on an overall manifesto even though each individual MP might object to certain parts of it.

In which case, if all MPs are nothing but lobby fodder, why don't we abandon the House of Commons all together and just let the Party Leaders and whips decide policy.

This wasn't a debate on the future of the NHS or school closures or some inately political and partisan proposal but Number 10 and the Whips decided to flex their muscles.

I can understand your point in cases of party policy and manifesto committments but this wasn't such a case.

In which case, if all MPs are nothing but lobby fodder, why don't we abandon the House of Commons all together and just let the Party Leaders and whips decide policy.

Because that would not be an agreed-upon compromise set of policies between a few hundred MPs working together. It would be one person's opinion imposed upon the whole group.

Because that would not be an agreed-upon compromise set of policies between a few hundred MPs working together. It would be one person's opinion imposed upon the whole group.

Are you saying that the bribes offered and the threats that followed were an attempt to reach a compromise? Over an issue that the Government has no policy on and which was not subject to a manifesto pledge/promise.

And how is an MP putting forward a bill he strongly believes in trying to impose one persons opinion upon a whole group of people?

Why are you defending bullying and bribery?

Dennis Skinner is my all time favourite politician. Even though I did not always agree with what he said , it was always what he felt. He had passion in his beliefs and principles. What you saw was what you got.

Unfortutately the mould got broken.

Archived