Charge for using debit card

Should there be one?

My local shop charges 5op per transaction if you use a debit.

I didnt know until id made a transaction and saw it on my reciept.

Firstly they should have told me and secondly why the hell should they be allowed to charge me for using my own money??

Everyone is always out to screw someone else for a fast buck:rant:

nothing to do with making a fast buck, credit card co,s charge the retailer a percentage for every transaction so in a local shop the profit margin will be small so there is the charge for a debit or credit card, otherwise not worth the sale.

Should there be one?

My local shop charges 5op per transaction if you use a debit.

I didnt know until id made a transaction and saw it on my reciept.

Firstly they should have told me and secondly why the hell should they be allowed to charge me for using my own money??

Everyone is always out to screw someone else for a fast buck:rant:

Its because you are using their debit machine which they rent from the banks;when spending it is YOU who is using your money not the shop.Carry cash like others do rather than cause a superfluous queue for those in a hurry!

nothing to do with making a fast buck, credit card co,s charge the retailer a percentage for every transaction so in a local shop the profit margin will be small so there is the charge for a debit or credit card, otherwise not worth the sale.

I understood debit cards were completely different to credit cards. Debit and the payment is paid, like a cash transaction. Credit as the title suggests you buy now, pay later and you have to pay for this facility. Is this not the case.

Regards

Angel.

I understood debit cards were completely different to credit cards. Debit and the payment is paid, like a cash transaction. Credit as the title suggests you buy now, pay later and you have to pay for this facility. Is this not the case.

Regards

Angel.

That is the case but it is irrelevant to the shop, they just get charged a fee for each transaction they make using a debit or credit card. This has nothing to do with the type of card and where the money is coming from, it is just a service charge. It is usually a small percentage of the value with a minimum charge I believe. They will be higher for smaller shops who can't negotiate big discounts like a bigger chain of shops could.

You shouldn't be charged a fee for a debit card at all. The merchant can impose a floor limit if they want below which they won't accept the card but it should be fee free. If they have charged then you should report it to your bank

If you read the disclaimers in most large shops and on receipts, the processing company charge you 2.5% of the receipt value as a charge. Obviously big shops have included that in the price smaller shops don't. So they charge you the fee they have to pay, quite correct really.

You shouldn't be charged a fee for a debit card at all. The merchant can impose a floor limit if they want below which they won't accept the card but it should be fee free. If they have charged then you should report it to your bank

This has absolutely nothing to do with the Bank and they'll do nothing if this is reported. The merchant adds on the fee and that is entirewly at his discretion.

Most shops have a little sign that states their minimum charge, and if not met, you will be charged 50p. Well the shops I've been in that do charge you have them anyway.

Its £3.50 minimum or 50p charge in my local shop, Mums local shop is £5 minimum or 50p charge.

With the amount they get charged for processing the transactions, its not worth it to them if you go in and buy a bag of crisps for example.

Archived