Charge for using debit card

So you would use your cards to pay for drinks in a pub, tea and a sandwich in a cafe, holding up everyone else getting served, I reckon that I've queued behind you two.

I have to admit some days i am physically penniless and do pay for the above by card.

There is an old law from the 1800's that makes it an offence to have no visible means of support in a public place,hence why most carry a wallet/purse with cards in i assume.

The shop should display such charges clearly. I wouldn't be spending there again and I would speak to the Manager about it, informing him/her why. I've even known local shops to rip off customers by charging £1.50 for cashback on large sales! I let the Manager know what I thought, and after hearing his defence "well there's a machine there that charges £2!' put my shopping back.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the Bank and they'll do nothing if this is reported. The merchant adds on the fee and that is entirewly at his discretion.

I'll bet that the contract with the bank and the scheme states otherwise. The retail banks advertise that there is no charge at a merchants for using the debit card.

I'll bet that the contract with the bank and the scheme states otherwise. The retail banks advertise that there is no charge at a merchants for using the debit card.

they advertise that the card owner isn't charged not the retailer

Archived