Crash diets for people with type 2 diabetes

I was type 2 and after MEDICAL advice to shed weight I joined Slimming World. Lost 6 stones and the diabetes has gone. If it's gone for good - no one knows, but at present it has not returned.

The main problem with a crash diet, when you return to ordinary eating the lost weight returns, and if you are not careful, a bit extra as well.

A well balanced healthy eating regime is the way to go. Steady weight loss, with less chance of putting the weight back on.

Regards

Angel.

OMG angel thats fab

These researchers who thought this idea up need to do better research, into something called the "honeymoon period" where diabetes can abate somewhat, before coming back with a vengeance.

As I understand it, some of them were free from diabetes 18 months after stopping the diet. Pretty long for a honeymoon period!

Oh ? How so?

The diabetes honeymoon period usually lasts for weeks, or a few months. It only rarely lasts for more than a year, so 18 months is pretty long for a honeymoon period. However, this is all rather moot.

I didn't realise when I posted earlier, but it seems that the honeymoon period is something that happens with type 1 diabetes, not type 2. What these researchers has observed is a different phenomenon altogether.

I've now read the actual research report that the headlines are based on. I suggest people reserve judgement as to its quality until they have done the same.

EDIT: Here's a link to the report.

Archived