How to ask for a payrise?

To replace someone for just asking for a raise would be a) stupid, b) illegal.Even replaceable people (and we mostly are) take time and effort to replace, it costs money to interview people, it costs the company money whilst the new person learns the ropes and becomes fully productive.

If you work for somewhere that you think would sack you just for asking for a raise then you should ask, sue them and move on to somewhere else that demonstrates a better management attitude.

The naivety of some people is beyond comprehension in the business world.

Prepare your case well, explain how (if) you have moved beyond your present job description, any new responsibililties?, look at other comparable roles and salaries that compare favourably and presnent all the facts to your boss, in a professional, non-emotive manner, at a pre-arranged time to suit you both - I wouldn't give them a figure - I'd see what they came back with - if you're not happy, let them know you think you're worth more, and then they'll realise you'll be looking elsewhere at more competitive salaries, so it'll be up to them how much they value you.

Pretty sound advice that. It's worth keeping an employee who already fits well into the business as it's very disruptive to bring anyone new up to speed regardless of how good they are.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say, could you be more clear?

In an age where many people have not had an increase for 3 years, and people are being made redundant almost as if it is some kind of sport, any possible cause of annoyance to an employer is tantamount to putting one's **** on the block.

After asking to speak to my boss 3 times over the last week, i finally spoke to him.

I showed him my results and performance.

He sat and listened.

Gave me no answer or straight reply.

He has now gone on holiday, without a "YES or NO"

With no email or anything.

Feel like ive been ignored.

It was half year end yesterday and the company has made millions and just bought another company out, so its not like there struggling.

In an age where many people have not had an increase for 3 years, and people are being made redundant almost as if it is some kind of sport, any possible cause of annoyance to an employer is tantamount to putting one's **** on the block.

Sacking someone just for asking for a raise would be illegal, making them redundant wouldn't be possible unless redundancies were going to take place anyway in which case most people would be able to see the writing on the wall anyway wouldn't they?

I asked for an increase in my contracted rate (I'm self employed) several months ago... To tell the whole story, there was an increase written into the contract after a successful 3 month review. I was going to ask for that increase to be doubled, but they offered to do it before I could ask so I accepted it.

I could walk in on Monday and ask for another increase. They'd probably say no, but I'd bet a large amount of money that they wouldn't even dream of getting rid of me for asking, what's would be the advantage to them of acting like that, it would just cost them money in the long and short term.

Going back to what your said here, why would an employer think that being asked for a raise was an annoyance?

After asking to speak to my boss 3 times over the last week, i finally spoke to him.

I showed him my results and performance.

He sat and listened.

Gave me no answer or straight reply.

He has now gone on holiday, without a "YES or NO"

With no email or anything.

Feel like ive been ignored.

It was half year end yesterday and the company has made millions and just bought another company out, so its not like there struggling.

Okay, you did it right, wait until he's back, give him time to get back up to speed and then arrange to speak to him again and explain that you want an answer.

Are you in a position where you can do anything about it if you're refused (ie start looking for another job)?

Archived