How to ask for a payrise?

Going back to what your said here, why would an employer think that being asked for a raise was an annoyance?

Because at recent meetings of staff of a number of companies, that I have attended in a professional capacity, the Chairmans' speeches have all contained thinly veiled remarks which clearly sent the message " you are lucky to still be in a job". You and I know that there are ways of disposing of staff other than dismissal or redundancy.

Sacking someone just for asking for a raise would be illegal, making them redundant wouldn't be possible unless redundancies were going to take place anyway in which case most people would be able to see the writing on the wall anyway wouldn't they?

I asked for an increase in my contracted rate (I'm self employed) several months ago... To tell the whole story, there was an increase written into the contract after a successful 3 month review. I was going to ask for that increase to be doubled, but they offered to do it before I could ask so I accepted it.

I could walk in on Monday and ask for another increase. They'd probably say no, but I'd bet a large amount of money that they wouldn't even dream of getting rid of me for asking, what's would be the advantage to them of acting like that, it would just cost them money in the long and short term.

Going back to what your said here, why would an employer think that being asked for a raise was an annoyance?

You have probably only worked for decent companies. The company I work for wouldn't hesitate to get rid of you for a trivial reason. They work on the principle that most people won't try and sue them because of the hassle and expense, even though they would likely win. They are very clever the way they get rid of people they don't like though.

They only want people who are happy to work for terrible wages without questioning them. Question them on anything or even if they just don't like your personality and you are out the door. They think people work here because the enjoy making the company a success not just for the pay. They don't want people who are just money orientated, in their words.

There will be lots of companies not like this but lots of smaller family owned companies that definitely are.

After asking to speak to my boss 3 times over the last week, i finally spoke to him.

I showed him my results and performance.

He sat and listened.

Gave me no answer or straight reply.

He has now gone on holiday, without a "YES or NO"

With no email or anything.

Feel like ive been ignored.

It was half year end yesterday and the company has made millions and just bought another company out, so its not like there struggling.

So you managed to ask about the raise in the last day or so right?

It will take time as he will have to talk to his seniors (certainly in a big company) and HR if you have an HR dept.

He can't say yes before speaking to others that would need to be involved. Equally if you only managed to actually get a chat with him in last 48hrs he was probably tidying things up before his hol and your request got filed in the "when I get back from hols" pile.

Sorting a pay increase for you is probably low on his list of priorities I'm afraid, other things would need sorting first. Give him a week after his hols and if you haven't heard anything, try and have another meeting.

So find something better, then ask for a raise, then go to tribunal and get some money for unfair dismissal. They only get away with it because people let them.

That would certainly be the ideal solution for me. Choosing the wrong career path and not realising soon enough seems to have put an end to any chance I have of moving jobs any time in the near future.

Archived