Mabel Credland (nee Stringer) and Harry Credland

peakma

Hi, Just wondered if anyone remembers my Grandparents.They lived in BannerCross Ecclesall.I never met my Grandad as he died when my Mum was pregnant with me in 1977.He used to have a paint shop in Hillsborough, many years ago, I think he used to race motor bikes.Grandma was born in 1910 and died about 1994.

I don't expect anyone to rememember them other than family members, but thought it might be worth asking, just incase there are some intresting/funny unheard /untold stories about them.

Grandma was fantastic and could recite so much Shakespeare and poetry,she was a real individual, and always entertaining to be around.

• 2 years later...

Hi there,

Did your grandma work for the National Coal Board. The tall building near the cathedral.

I was there in the early seventies for six months. And there was a group of us who had a temporary job. There was a lady there who we used to call Creddy. She sort of watched over us.

I well remember your grandparents' paint shop at the bottom of Walkley Lane. Their competitor was Blaskeys just round the corner, but my mum always said Credlands was much better. The business was in the name of Charles Credland. The only memory I have of your grandfather dates from when I bought my first motorbike - I happened to be in the shop buying something and he noticed the brand-new bike outside. He was full of advice and tips for this young novice!

By the way I just looked up your grandparents on findmypast.com - Florence Mabel Credland was born on 25 May 1910 and died in May 1995. Harry Brindley Credland was born on 6 May 1909 and died in the first quarter of 1977. Charles Credland was born at Brampton, Nottinghamshire on 29 November 1842 and died in Sheffield on 19 July 1915.

The 1951 Kellys gives Harry Brindley Credland a Director of Charles Credland Ltd paint and varnish mfrs decorator merchants offices 108 Queen st 111 113 115 Queen st 32/27 Holme lane and 473 london rd, [House 49 Louth rd s11.

FOOTNOTE, George Credland was a varnish and colour munufactor in 1876 at 113 Queen st.

• 3 years later...

Hi there,

Having decided to start to address my desire to create my family tree I came across this post.

I am your cousin once removed, your mother must be my cousin as I am the daughter of Bill Credland (Harry's brother) Please remind me of the name of your mother.

I remember your grandfather and grandmother well. I used to visit them at their home when I was a little girl, I remember playing with Alistair (met him as an adult and wish I had kept in touch) who was more my age. Other members of the family I remember were Jane (who sadly died after child birth) Marcus (dentist in Jersey) I would love to catch up with you and your mother if possible.

I am Frances (Frankie) and my number is 07976838012.

e mail fran.cleeton@a-et.co.uk

Would love to here from you.

Fran

I believe my Uncle Alfred Timmins worked for the Credlands at the bottom of Walkl;ey Lane. He wasn't a painter he was either a salesman or managed the shop. Does anyone y remember him?

PopT

Edited by PopT

The 1951 Kellys gives Harry Brindley Credland a Director of Charles Credland Ltd paint and varnish mfrs decorator merchants offices 108 Queen st 111 113 115 Queen st 32/27 Holme lane and 473 london rd, [House 49 Louth rd s11.

FOOTNOTE, George Credland was a varnish and colour munufactor in 1876 at 113 Queen st.

Hi, Can I ask where you got the info re George Credland? do you have a link you can push me to.

• 3 months later...
Hi, Can I ask where you got the info re George Credland? do you have a link you can push me to.

It was an old post carney720 - but I would suggest you make a start either at Sheffield Local History department housed in the Central Library building or at Sheffield Archives on Shoreham Street (near the BBC Radio Sheffield building).

• 2 months later...

Hello I'm not related to you but have joined this forum especially to respond to your thread. Did you and your family know that your Granddad, Harry, had a brother Herbert who was killed during the first world war aged only 22! I

have a photograph of Herbert which I inherited. I only discovered the link

between Herbert and your granddad a week ago hence the years between

this response.

If you would like a copy of his photo and information I've gathered about Herbert it will be a pleasure to send them to you. Please email me

dawnthomas484@btinternet.com or phone on 07967158300.