Mabel Credland (nee Stringer) and Harry Credland

peakma

I bumped into Harry Credland around 1976 - or rather he ran into me.

I had driven to the Hammer and Pincers at Bents Green on a very frosty night. On leaving (still sober) I tried to drive up the steep car park exit onto Ringinglow Road but it was icy and my Mark III Ford Cortina (Gold with vinyl roof - cool), just wouldn't go. I rolled back onto the car park and seconds later there was a loud bang as Harry's car, (I think it may have been a Jaguar?), with his rear window completely iced up, reversed into my back door.

We both got out and had a reasonable conversation, and Harry tried to say it was my fault because I wasn't there when he got into his car! He then explained that he had an accident-free record and could he settle in cash, suggesting that one his tenants on Banner Cross had a panel beating business and he would do a good price as a favour to Harry.

Harry then phoned the following day to say he had been thinking about it and still thought it was my fault and it being on private land there would be no insurance etc etc. but somehow I tactfully persuaded him it was his responsibility to get my car repaired.

I went to his tenants garage - "Oh you are another of Harry's victims are you?" Turned out that although Harry had no big accidents, he was known to have a number of minor bumps, all settled in cash and brushed under the carpet.

I eventully had the repair done by Mike Tissington on Hickmott Road who did a great job for about £180 and on visiting Harry at his home, he paid up like the gentleman he was.

My memory of Harry is that he was a decent gentleman with probably failing health. In the end no harm done.

• 2 years later...

Just picked up this Credland link so thought I'd submit a few words.

Harry's son Marcus was a good schoolfriend of mine, late '40s - early '50s, when they lived on Louth Rd. I spent a lot of time at their house - his mother, Mabel, was very open and friendly and loads of fun, plus she was the only local I knew with a fridge, so made very rudimentary ice cream and lollies! Harry was a bit of a hero to us young lads, before the war he had ridden dirt-track bikes and had the worn out steel knee-pads on his garage wall to prove it. Very keen on cars, at that time (1950±) he drove Alvis saloons, so he might have ended up with a Jag? Mabel Credland said to me one day in the late '40s " We're going to get young Jane christened so we need a Godfather - get your jacket, you'll do!"

(Today, 15/1/2014) was the first I heard that she had sadly died at an early age after childbirth - so sad, lovely girl.

I left Sheffield as an art student for London in the late '50s at about the time Marcus would have been training to be a dentist. We didn't meet again but my mother Doris Poole, who kept in touch with the Credlands when they moved to Banner Cross, told me Marcus had moved to somewhere on the East coast to practice dentistry. (Moved on to the Channel Isles I see).

I still have an old, faded 620 b&w print of Marcus and a couple of pals of that time.

One of the other treasures from the Credland Garage was a tiny pre-war child's Swiss-style toboggan which we used to help steer our full sized sledges when "belly-flopping" down Louth Rd. and other local hills, there being neither cars nor grit to ruin the perfect sledging tracks. (I still have my sledge which was hand-made at Cartright's Ironmongers on Ecclesall Rd. at Banner Cross - cost 30 bob I recall because it was a "special" and the fastest one around!) Gerry Cartright, the son, flew model airplanes with me for a few years around that time.

That'll do for now folks - nostalgia IS what it used to be.

I know this is an old thread - going back some time (to November 2011) - but we have some slight connections regarding Credlands Paint and Wallpaper shops. I met my husband when we worked for Crown Wallpaper and Paints and he used to deliver to all the Credland shops (hubby worked at Gee's branch on Shoreham Street and I worked at West Bar Crown shop). He recalls several of the shops mentioned in previous notes on this thread.

More recently, we have been to an opticians and speaking to the wife of the owner - and she was born as Credland and her sister went to King Ecgbert's same as me though a couple of years above me. If anyone is related to this Credland family, I will put them in touch with her.

• 5 years later...

Hi, I knew Harry Credland. I had a garage at the top of Murray Road in banner cross, the garage used to belong to a guy called Derek Bethell. When I first took the garage Harry used to come in to help removing the built-up oil and grease on the floor with a biscuit tin filled with wood shavings which he lit and used the heated biscuit to soften the built up oil so it could be easily scraped up (took for ever). 

• 1 year later...

Stenna

I have not had any up dates on this thread since I made A comment back in 2011 - I am a member of the Credland family and would love to hook up to anyone who is :) I am Bill Credlands daughter ( Harry’s brother ) 

Peakma 

I am Bill Credlands daughter ( Harry’s brother ) 

please get in touch. Who was your mum ? 

you must be my niece :) 

fran x

Edited by Fran Corrie