Glastonbury! .

That's what they're paid to do just as Wham's backing musicians were paid to do. didn't a certain top Shefffield guitarist walk off Wham's tour due to having to pretend.

Those prancers messing about with the White plastic instruments (Trumpets/saxes) weren't playing they were just bobbing about.

To me that is conning the public.

Who was that Bassman? The Sheffield guitarist bit. I think I have an idea.

How do you know for a fact? The fact that one of the saxes wasn't faded up in the broadcast mix the first time the played solo, and the guitar pickup which gave up and started distorting heavily both indicate the opposite. On top of that was the vamping by the band, and the slightly odd mixing at times of the drum kit.

Yes I am. I don't see someone performing with some backing tracks which add to their performance things which can't be done live easily as a bad thing. Backing tracks is not by any means a Glasto only thing. Every major band (along with a large number of the minor ones who've had studio time) brings a rack full of backing track kit with them to every gig. The tracks may only have a couple of things on them (one gig I worked recently had two tracks, one of some backing vocal effects and one of some sub bass drops, both of which were basically impossible to recreate live), but they are part of those songs, and the music sounds off without them.

As far as I'm concerned, backing tracks should be used by bands, for everything that they can't perform reliably live.

There is a complete difference between having some backing tracks and just playing the studio recorded version. I'm referring to the use of individual tracks being used, not the entire instrumental part of a song.

The entire live music business is there to entertain, and while I recognise where you're coming from, I think that the people paying for tickets are happier with spending that amount of money by getting to hear the songs they love as they are supposed to sound rather than being able to claim "well it sounded rubbish, but at least we know it was all live". You can't honestly claim that the 100,000+ people who saw Beyonce last night were not entertained?

The Who at woodstock never had any backing tracks as such. Just excellent musicians with amazing talent. 'Nuff said.

The Who at woodstock never had any backing tracks as such. Just excellent musicians with amazing talent. 'Nuff said.

Never said they didn't. I was talking about modern bands performing today.

The Who, at the time of Woodstock also didn't have access to reliable multi-track playback, or the types of equipment and instruments that make it a integral part of live performance today.

Never said they didn't. I was talking about modern bands performing today.

The Who, at the time of Woodstock also didn't have access to reliable multi-track playback, or the types of equipment and instruments that make it a integral part of live performance today.

I agree, but bands that have 'natural' talent will always do well. Even against horrible tech issues. Jesus, real fans will understand if a guitar goes out of tune and will have a laugh about it. Even better if the guitar gets smashed!

Archived