Glastonbury! .

I think that maybe a couple of other festivals have sewn up the heavier end of the market.

This year Download has Def Leppard, system of a Down and Linkin Park headlining. Sonisphere Festival has Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth playing on the Friday Slipknot, Limp Bizkit and Motörhead playing on the Sunday.

Not really my thing, I have seen Metallica and they were good, true craftsman at work, but I'd I think that I'd struggle to watch them again.

Mention of Def Leppard, my daughter-in-law went to see him in Atlanta last week, some kind of out-door concert, she came home saying , guess what ? he's from Sheffield :hihi:, like I didn't know.

Mention of Def Leppard, my daughter-in-law went to see him in Atlanta last week, some kind of out-door concert, she came home saying , guess what ? he's from Sheffield :hihi:, like I didn't know.

Def Leppard are dreadful, how they managed to make money out of the rubbish they put out is unreal........and thats from a fan of rock music.

Went to see "him", "he's" from Sheffield? Which member of Def leppard did she see?

Originally Posted by Rampent

I agree, but bands that have 'natural' talent will always do well. Even against horrible tech issues. Jesus, real fans will understand if a guitar goes out of tune and will have a laugh about it. Even better if the guitar gets smashed!

I guess that the music fans who like their music this way would have watched Queens of the Stone Age instead of Beyonce, they are about as good as it gets for their genre of music.

And all played live warts and all.

Wow doesn't that prove a lot.

I think the point is that there are music festivals for heavy rock, Download and Sonisphere, music festivals for the rock/indie end of the market, Leeds/Reading festival and music festivals for the popular music market into which Glastonbury fits into along with V festival, and Party in the Park in Scotland.

There are so many festivals nowadays that each one must decide upon their position in the market, and part of Glastonbury's successful modern identity is it's accessibility for everyone. I figure I heard quoted was that 10% of Glastonbury's festival goers were over 50.

I also wonder why there wasn't the same amount of fuss for when Kylie Minogue was due to headline 6 years ago?

bet bassmans musical likes is as narrow as his politics :P

Having played everything from the music of the fabulous 60s to Orchestral music on the 'Royal Festival Hall' and the restored Curium Ampitheatre (Cyprus), resident in a Jazz Club, resident musiciamn supporting artistes, Rock, Pop, Blues, Country etc and still playing I'd hardly call that narrow.

It is just that I don't swallow the shallow standards that dosxuk would have us believe are acceptable today.

No doubt in a short while if dosxuk has his way we'll be paying to see videos without the actual so called "stars" leaving home because it looks and sounds just like the promo vidoe..

Originally Posted by dosxuk

How do you know for a fact? The fact that one of the saxes wasn't faded up in the broadcast mix the first time the played solo, and the guitar pickup which gave up and started distorting heavily both indicate the opposite. On top of that was the vamping by the band, and the slightly odd mixing at times of the drum kit.

A typical ploy to give the impression that it is live, one used by the 'Pet Shop Boys' when they first performed so called "live", mistakes were programmed in to make it appear live.

Originally Posted by dosxuk

Every major band (along with a large number of the minor ones who've had studio time) brings a rack full of backing track kit with them to every gig.

Rubbish

So can you tell me which backing tracks I heard on the Crosby, Stills & Nash concert that I attended in 2009, or the Eagles at SF Arena?

The Moody Blues played Live the twice I saw them at the City hall.

The Human League may well need assistance with their stage sound especialy the backing vocals but not musicians who proved their worth without techno aid.

Archived