Glastonbury! .

Thank God I lived at the time of Woodstock and IOW, how sad that you lot accept 2nd rate performers who are dependent on assistence due to their lack of ability.

BTW did Neil Young, CSN & Willie Nelson and other real stars use backing tracks when they played Glastonbury, were their performances any the less for it or wouldn't you know?

To be honest i think you are decieving yourself if you think that every single thing that is on a music track nowdays can't be reproduced on a stage, live, in the middle of a field and perfectly in time so the audience can't tell.

Music production has moved on a little from the days of Young and Nelson- sounds like you should too.

Perhaps this will end the constant bickering on this thread.

Beyoncé's backing girls

By Adam Sherwin

* She might be soul's foremost diva, but Beyoncé would be far less impressive without her hand-picked, all-female live band. The singer auditioned thousands of female session musicians to make up her slick, 10-piece group, which first accompanied her on the 2007 Beyoncé Experience tour.

Between concerts the band members, who perform under the name Suga Mama, teach improvised jazz classes to music students and work on solo projects.

Most of Suga Mama are classically trained to the highest level, such as drummer Nikki Glaspie, who enrolled at Boston's prestigious Berklee College of Music. Bassist Divinity Roxx is a graduate of the equally influential, if less academically renowned, Bootsy Collins' Funk University.

They are kept in line by Bibi McGill, guitarist, musical director and yoga teacher. Her job, she says, is to "tell everyone what time they have to be there, being responsible to give the cue for the stage to rise, being responsible if Beyoncé wants to change something in the middle of the show, talking in my mic to everyone who has in-ears [earpieces] and making it look seamless".

In addition to Sugar Mama, Beyoncé employs three regular backing vocalists, Montina Cooper, Crystal Collins and Tiffany Moníque Riddick. Cooper, like most backing singers, hankered after the spotlight herself. After signing as a solo artist, she fell into a career singing with Kelly Rowland, Beyonce's former bandmate from Destiny's Child, and Jamie Foxx, before joining Beyoncé's live band.

The Mamas are fiercely loyal to their bandleader. Roxx says: "Beyoncé is a hard worker and she inspired me to work hard and push myself beyond what I thought I was capable of doing. I will forever be indebted to her for that."

However, not everything heard on stage is the live work of the singer and her band. McGill admits that there is a programmer backstage who triggers pre-recorded sounds from Beyoncé's recorded hits, which not even a 10-piece group can reproduce.

Beyoncé's instructions to the band are simply to "play things like the record" and "enjoy the show". And whilst the singer parties with her rapper husband, Jay-Z, after a performance, the Suga Mamas often head off to a club to play an improvised funk set and let their hair down.

So it appears all the musicians and singers on stage are top musicians and are performing live with no one miming to anything. However at times the symphony orchestras and phasing are added from a backing track. Not much of a surprise there.

Nice bit of hype (if you take it seruiously) to give Beyonce more credibility.

I

I learned guitar from my father who played guitar in a punk band, and piano from my mother. I'm a self taught violinist. I inherited my Strat from my father when he died of rock N roll.

seriously ;is that on is death certificate?

scuse me big boy ,theres only one cliff and he's backed by the shad's:roll:
Yeh but I bet they use backing tracks,:hihi::hihi: mind you when I saw the Shads at the City Hall they did augment with a string synth for some of their numbers like 'Wonderful Land'.:o shock horror.:hihi:

Music production has moved on a little from the days of Young and Nelson- sounds like you should too.

Well Young, Springstein, CSN and nelson certainly showed up the karaoke merchants only a couple of years back, and they still pack out shows.

To be honest i think you are decieving yourself if you think that every single thing that is on a music track nowdays can't be reproduced on a stage, live, in the middle of a field and perfectly in time so the audience can't tell.

So why does a certain Sheffield Techno band need backing vocals pre recorded?

Just like Holly Johnson he couldn't hold a note and had to be quantised in the studio.

Archived