Glastonbury! .

Out of tune singers are not consistently out of tune,

Most are. Well most who do it professionally are.

So are you now saying that the whole of the singing line up is detuned etc to accommodate another band memeber who is singing flat on a live gig?

No, the individual out of tune member is 'harmonised' back in with the rest of the band.

Thank God I'm out of date.

So you never heard Janis Joplins' backing band then? :D

John X

Excuse me, just what do you mean.

Does it mean "Sorry folks I know you've paid your money but I'm going to have to mime to my studio vocal tracks"

Obviously these are the depths that people like you find acceptable due to the studio/engineerd produced music on sale just to sell tracks with no actual skill or ability like Cheryl Cole or Posh Spice.

What you don't seem to understand is that people who go to see boy and girl bands (and indeed bands like Simply Red and Dire Straits) do want to hear it sound exactly like it was on the record.

And I defy you to tell the difference between a live vocal and a 'track' vocal at most reasonable sized gigs.

John X

No, the individual out of tune member is 'harmonised' back in with the rest of the band. :DJohn X

So let's get this straight you're telling us that in a vocal band they have a band member who is known to be out of tune.

At what stage of a concert does someone with perfect pitch decide how far out of tune this superstar is?

What happens if they then sing a short passage in tune?

What you don't seem to understand is that people who go to see boy and girl bands (and indeed bands like Simply Red and Dire Straits) do want to hear it sound exactly like it was on the record.

John X

I think that if you were to put it down in writing that bands like Dire Straights, The Eagles, CSN, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen etc performed on concerts to backing tracks you'd find yourself with a law suit on your hands whereas you're saying what I've said from the beginning that an act I saw on a live TV show from Glsatonbury was using studio tracks to boost her performance.

So let's get this straight you're telling us that in a vocal band they have a band member who is known to be out of tune.

At what stage of a concert does someone with perfect pitch decide how far out of tune this superstar is?

What happens if they then sing a short passage in tune?

At no stage in particular. It is a dynamic thing throughout the show.

Imagine Boy B and Girl C are singing in a 5 piece pop group. Each has two faders on the mixing desk. One is the vocal track as recorded on the album. the other is the live vocal from the actual microphone they hold in their hand. Boy A is having a good night and is singing well so the balance of his vocal is 75% live to 25% track. Girl C however is having a mare as she was out caning it with her new celeb boyfriend the previous night. The balance of her vocal is 25% live and 75% track.

And before you get too high and mighty about this 'fraud', a lot of pop bands do a highly choreographed show with a lot of energetic dance moves. If you actually listen to their vocal mics in isolation, you would hear a load of grunts and heavy breathing. I defy anyone to sing as well as dance energetically too.

And if the audience (the people who bought the tickets!) are there as much for the visual show as for the music, they are more than happy with that compromise! :D

John X

I think that if you were to put it down in writing that bands like Dire Straights, The Eagles, CSN, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen etc performed on concerts to backing tracks you'd find yourself with a law suit on your hands whereas you're saying what I've said from the beginning that an act I saw on a live TV show from Glsatonbury was using studio tracks to boost her performance.

That's not what you said at all. This is what you said..

What backing band, those idiots pretending to play trumpets and saxes?

The whole backing was pre-recorded.

Which is pretty much what you now claim will bring on the lawyers.

I think that if you were to put it down in writing that bands like Dire Straights, The Eagles, CSN, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen etc performed on concerts to backing tracks you'd find yourself with a law suit on your hands

Read what I actually wrote, not what you think I wrote! :D

John X

I recently visited where Hiwatt are made, there was a chassis on the shelf with two massive transformers (like electricity substations) and four milk bottles (KT88 valves) this was just 200 watts, mind you 200 hundred valve watts sounds like a thousand solid state watts but being an OAP I use one of the new generation digital amps 1000 watts and weighing in at just 7.7 lbs along with light weight Neodymium speakers that I buy direct having good contacts in the music industry.

Not bad for someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

I want one NOW! That is good stuff. I play a PRS custom that can replicate the tone of most strats etc, and run a mesa amp. BUT! I want a org Hi Watt stack, ala Townsend.

I

I learned guitar from my father who played guitar in a punk band, and piano from my mother. I'm a self taught violinist. I inherited my Strat from my father when he died of rock N roll.

seriously ;is that on is death certificate?

What band did he play in Uptowngirl? I may very well know your dad! PM if a problem.

At no stage in particular. It is a dynamic thing throughout the show.

Imagine Boy B and Girl C are singing in a 5 piece pop group. Each has two faders on the mixing desk. One is the vocal track as recorded on the album. the other is the live vocal from the actual microphone they hold in their hand. Boy A is having a good night and is singing well so the balance of his vocal is 75% live to 25% track. Girl C however is having a mare as she was out caning it with her new celeb boyfriend the previous night. The balance of her vocal is 25% live and 75% track.And before you get too high and mighty about this 'fraud', a lot of pop bands do a highly choreographed show with a lot of energetic dance moves. If you actually listen to their vocal mics in isolation, you would hear a load of grunts and heavy breathing. I defy anyone to sing as well as dance energetically too.

And if the audience (the people who bought the tickets!) are there as much for the visual show as for the music, they are more than happy with that compromise! :D

John X

My Bold= So girl C is having a bad night due to a hangover:loopy: what a sad state of affairs where you find that acceptable

So manufactured bands like Spice Girls/Take That etc are just a con and people like you go round telling people that not being able to sing in tune for a full show is acceptable.

You've obviously got a low quality threshold where conning the public is acceptable.

You claim that most acts these days have to augment their out of tune singers with quantising or pre recorded vocal tracks is a sad reflection of how low the standards of the popular music industry has sunk under the likes of you and Pete Waterman who won't let his manufactured acts perform live.

Archived