Is it time to end 0800 and 0845 number?

is it time to end 0800 and 0845 numbers?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. is it time to end 0800 and 0845 numbers?

• no i use my landline
    • yes im sick of it as well
    • not bothered either way
    • yes

So they can be replaced by landline numbers that are free from mobiles I guess

I would rather people get a landline or use a phone box if they want to use an 0800. I really dont see the point of getting rid of a "free" number to replace it with a chargeable one. Not everyone one the planet has a contract mobile with inclusive minutes.

I would rather people get a landline or use a phone box if they want to use an 0800. I really dont see the point of getting rid of a "free" number to replace it with a chargeable one. Not everyone one the planet has a contract mobile with inclusive minutes.

And that is exactly what they should do, even if it means nipping next door or to your Mums to use their phone. I tend to use my landline for ringing any landline or 0845/0800 numbers, and mobiles on my mobile. I know less and less people are getting landlines, but I bet the majority of people still have one.

another money spinner from bt/government in making a lot of money from the elderly/ill/unemployed.:rant:

What has BT got to do with it? They dont set the charges that mobile operators charge. They didn't make a rule saying that freephone was not included in mobile tariffs.

Private companies can pick whatever number they want and charge what they want. If you want to take advantage of the freephone or low call numbers use a call box if you dont have a landline.

I'm pretty sure if you look into it, most do have an alternative landline number.

A quick peek at the "say No to 0870" website will more often then not give you the landline number for an organisation.

I have telephone banking with a well known local bank. We had an 0845 number, but when we got a deal with talk talk to give us free calls to 0845 numbers they changed the number so that we have to pay. 0845 numbers are rip off.

Vodafone now have a tarriff where you can get 0870/ 0800 numbers included in your monthly minutes-allocation.

Alternative numbers are available through saynoto0870.com Not exhaustive. but a starting point.

Some companies also give an international number as an alternative and this is usually a standard landline number.

Long term I think more of a noise should be made about these numbers. Think I'm right to say there are guidelines to bar GP surgeries using such numbers, yet S. Yorks surgeries are amongst the worst in retaining them.

From personal experience BT, TalkTalk and O2 now include 0845 and 0870 in their packages....my surgery has since changed from 0845 to 0844. What happened to free at the point of delivery/need/access???

As a postscript....during the floods of '07 I was ringing AOL (my broadband was down) on an 0800 number from my landline - THEY DISABLED THE NUMBER! Sad, sad company that has to resort to such tactics

What's wrong with 0845 numbers?

On the face of it nothing but... they are classed as "non-geographical" numbers and as such in some cases are not included in land line call packages or mobile phone tariffs. Sometimes you can look up the "actual" number and get around this, personally for how often i call them a few pence extra at the end of the month isn't a big deal as long as the call is answered and dealt with quickly - i'd rather that than spend 30 mins on holds to a free call number twiddling my thumbs waiting for someone to answer.....

Archived