Kites banned from East Yorks beaches . . ..

e-clips there is quite some discussion on kiting forums and the bylaws are quite clear, the only question is on how the bylaws are enforced

it is an issue to me as we wanted to go to Hornsea this weekend. The kids kites are only up to maybe 6ft/7ft but I fly large single line and art kites up to 11ft wide 20ft long and while they are very safe it seems unlikey I would be permitted to fly them - there is always Cleethorpes I guess

It was front page news on the local Bridlington paper, and the subject of many vociferous complaints in the letters page.

I hadn't realised that it was a blanket ban on all East Yorks beaches. I thought it applied only to the bits that are full of tourists, and I thought that was a good idea. Banning kites from every single bit of beach in the county is about as far from a good idea as the council could get.

That said, and regardless of the rights or wrongs, there are plenty of non-beach seashore sites in East Yorkshire where you could still fly the kites, not to mention parks and other open spaces.

Archived