Chris Evans accused of one show 'racism'

Yes, incredibly stupid. He was supposed to be interviewing a scientist not making random childish remarks with content similar to racist jokes we heard in the 1970's.

Oh my word:rolleyes:

Go back to bed for an hour. Itll do you the world of good.

:roll:

Well, it was the white person (Evans) who said something incredibly stupid, not Trevor McDonald.

Why was it stupid? Did he make any reference to her skin tone at any point? I didn't hear him say anything about her skin tone.

I'm mixed race and have predominantly white friends. I'd say 80% of my friends are white. Something I've noticed about a couple of my "white friends" is that they can often assume that they've offended me when in actuality I wasn't offended at all.

A prime example of this is if I'm sat with them in the pub after work and I make reference to how dirty they look and they say something like- you should have seen the colour of me last week, I was black.... err...err No offence.

Can they not see that that in itself isn't offensive to me in any way, but the actual apology does make things rather awkward?

Or

The classic line is- 'I don't even think of you as black, you're one of us as far as I'm concerned'. Surely they can see that that quite clearly is offensive to a none white? I personally have no issues with my ethnic identity so they shouldn't either. They can be such idiots when it comes to race and colour issues. I know they mean well but they get it so wrong sometimes.

Why was it stupid? Did he make any reference to her skin tone at any point? I didn't hear him say anything about her skin tone.

I'm mixed race and have predominantly white friends. I'd say 80% of my friends are white. Something I've noticed about a couple of my "white friends" is that they can often assume that they've offended me when in actuality I wasn't offended at all.

A prime example of this is if I'm sat with them in the pub after work and I make reference to how dirty they look and they say something like- you should have seen the colour of me last week, I was black.... err...err No offence.

Can they not see that that in itself isn't offensive to me in any way, but the actual apology does make things rather awkward?

Or

The classic line is- 'I don't even think of you as black, you're one of us as far as I'm concerned'. Surely they can see that that quite clearly is offensive to a none white? I personally have no issues with my ethnic identity so they shouldn't either. They can be such idiots when it comes to race and colour issues. I know they mean well but they get it so wrong sometimes.

You make some very good points but I don’t see it as your friends fault, we are led to believe on a regular basis that some things are racist that are clearly not. It then makes people think more about what they say just in case it offends someone. I would say that if your friend has been your friend for some time they should know by now what you would be offended by. The big problem is that some people are easily offended.

I hope I have written this in a way that isn’t offensive.:D

You make some very good points but I don’t see it as your friends fault, we are led to believe on a regular basis that some things are racist that are clearly not. It then makes people think more about what they say just in case it offends someone. I would say that if your friend has been your friend for some time they should know by now what you would be offended by. The big problem is that some people are easily offended.

I hope I have written this in a way that isn't offensive.:D

What? In black?:mad:;)

Another case of the "race" card being overplayed.

Don't discriminate against specific sections of society by way of inferior treatment or service - that's clearly not good.

But to have to pussyfoot around skin colour, ever fearful of referring to it (even obliquely or clumsily as per Evans' remark) is ridiculous.

I am reminded of a longstanding friend with West Indian skin colour i.e. gorgeous deep colouring, strikingly handsome, extremely fit-looking. He has a wife with pale English porcelain skin which burns rather than tans. They returned home after a Greek island holiday. She had tanned only vaguely, he showed me and bragged about his tan by taking off his watch and, sure enough, he had tanned quite markedly.

Perfectly at ease and in tune with his skin colouring, he was having a bit of a laugh, of course! Importantly, he was able to celebrate the difference in his skin colouring from that of his wife.

For Evans to be accused of making a racist remark when his self-deprecating humour mocks his own gingerness and warns of his own history of substance misuse is just unhinged, unbalanced and silly.

Poppycock :roll:

TOMMYROT!!

That's what I thought he said, ''I can bearly see you two'' in reference to both the man and the woman sat opposite him.

Some people are clearly very easily offended or like to look for something to take offence too. Sad really.

He said "I can barely see you to be honest".

Actually it sounds to me like he says "I can barely see you three"

(there are three people sat with him)

From the London Evening Standard:

"The presenter had been discussing spectacular events in space observed from Earth - including last week's lunar eclipse - with Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock when he said he could hardly see her in the dimly lit studio."

He says nothing of the sort, they're talking about the light outside, nobody mentions anything about the studio lighting.

I don't think he was being racist at all, but I bet he regretted it immediately as he realised it could be interpretted as racist.

The adding of the clip from Youtube makes this thread and the righteous mob on here look even more ridiculous, it was a throwaway comment in the middle of a sentance and was directed at THREE people of different skin colour.

Like I said earlier the whole racist mantra is becoming absurd.

After watching the video anyone who found that racist would have really had to concentrate on what he was saying, so much so that I'm certain they would have had to repeat the phrase to understand it. I know I did. He was talking about observing stars with a black lady and suggested it was so dark he struggled to see her. Are we really that pathetic? If he was racist surely he would have asked for one of the many white astronomers out there.

Archived