Milestone and The Star

Does the Star not have any other restaurants/chefs it can take pictures of?

OK it has been on Ramsey's TV program but come on, week in week out seeing the same pictures is getting a little tiring.

Why not try calling one of the other 100+ restaurants and seeing if their chefs will let you in for a picture or two. I mean a chef in whites can't be too hard to find.

Or maybe they are getting a little kick back in the form of meals ;)

• 1 month later...

The Star food reviews are amongst the worst I have ever come across in any publication. This guy Dawes never/rarely gives anyone a less than favourable overall rating. Yes, he might write things like, "my xxx was a bit soggy" but according to him everywhere is pretty good. And that's just not true. It's not very objective.

It serves the purpose, only, of making us aware perhaps of a new place that's opened - it cannot be relied upon as an objective review of the food.

As for the Milestone...

well, I've eaten there twice, but not in the past 18 months. First time as with a group of friends - we all thought it was "ok" but nothing special. Second time I had the same impression - they seem fond of combining odd things together on a plate if my memory serves me correct?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/talented_tv_milestone_chef_is_spreading_his_wings_1_3640436

Here they are, at it again... But this time it's cos the chef is leaving...

Next week it will be the chef opening his own place!

The Star do have favourites - trouble is they're rarely as good as they say they are :(

Hmmmm, it says amicable spilt.

A member of the Milestone team for four years, Ayres was made Head Chef at the Wig & Pen and then Executive Chef last year. New Wig & Pen chef Tony Parker has been leading on the menus for some time and James Wallace continues as head chef at The Milestone.

'Tony Parker has been leading the menus for some time' suggests to me maybe it wasn't as amicable as the paper suggests. Exec chef at two of what are allegedly two of the top 10 best restaurants in Sheffield, departs? With no follow up, i.e he has been snapped up by Gordon.....James Wallace continues as head chef, sounds a bit to me like he was possibly an expensive spare part.

the star only write up reviews for resturants where the review

would be good, so if a restaurant hasn't been in, it's because it

would have been a bad review.

What is the point in that? In any case I have seen bad reviews in the Star. Prezzo got a awful review only a few weeks ago.

What is the point in that? In any case I have seen bad reviews in the Star. Prezzo got a awful review only a few weeks ago.

I suppose it is like a job reference, they can't give you one that would be damaging and 'slanderous' but can refuse to give one. However, if the restaurant is willing to allow the reviewer to come in to the restaurant, they should be willing to accept a possible bad review. But, as it could possibly lose them business, I suspect there is probably some legal 'fear' on the Star's behalf.

Archived