Rastafarian movement/laws on smoking marijuana.

Do British laws on the smoking of marijuana discriminate against the rastafari movement/religion and it's use of marijuana for spiritual purposes?

Why shouldn't a rastafarian be given the same exemptions that the government feels fit to offer other religions and sections of society due to their heritage and/or religious beliefs?

Why is it illegal for a rastafarian to smoke marijuana for spiritual purposes yet perfectly legal for a member of the travelling community to fight in public or not send their kids to school due to their tradition?

Why is it illegal for a rastafarian to smoke marijuana for spiritual purposes yet perfectly legal for a man of muslim faith to be a polygamist due to his tradition?

Why is it illegal for a rastafarian to smoke marijuana for spiritual purposes yet perfectly legal for a Sikh or scotsman to carry a dagger due to their tradition?

Why is it illegal for a rastafarian to smoke marijuana for spiritual purposes yet perfectly legal for a Christian to insight homophobic hate?

Why is this?

Are a rastafarians beliefs and traditions worth less than those of the above?

Who is going to respond to such provocative and specious posting?

I think the OP raises some good points.

However, the comparisons he has given aren't as black and white in real life as he's presented them.

If I remember correctly, most countries don't recognise Rastafari as an official religion (more a religious movement) and that's why it isn't granted any special exceptions from the rules.

I believe Italy is one of the few countries which does allow for Rastafarians to smoke cannabis.

Who is going to respond to such provocative and specious posting?

well you for a start.
:hihi::hihi::hihi:

gnvqsos. I take it you could, if you so desired, provide a counter argument that can discredit the points I made?? Well lets hear it then

visit jamaica its illegal there as well, the only place on the island thats its tolereated to do so is at nine mile where bob marley is buried.
Which would mean there are exemptions in Jamaica... wouldn't it??

Why shouldn't a rastafarian be given the same exemptions that the government feels fit to offer other religions and sections of society due to their heritage and/or religious beliefs?

I don't think it's recognised as an official religion on it's own.

Why is it illegal for a rastafarian to smoke marijuana for spiritual purposes yet perfectly legal for a member of the travelling community to fight in public or not send their kids to school due to their tradition?

Is it illegal to have an arranged, mutually agreed fight, as long as it isn't disturbing the peace? I think anyone can keep their kids from school as long as they (claim to be) home-schooled.

Why is it illegal for a rastafarian to smoke marijuana for spiritual purposes yet perfectly legal for a man of muslim faith to be a polygamist due to his tradition?

I don't think this is true, some do marry more than one in religious ceremony, but I don't think they are recognised under law. It's similar to someone just having several girlfriends and/or families with them, legally.

Why is it illegal for a rastafarian to smoke marijuana for spiritual purposes yet perfectly legal for a Sikh or scotsman to carry a dagger due to their tradition?

You got me on that one :confused:

Why is it illegal for a rastafarian to smoke marijuana for spiritual purposes yet perfectly legal for a Christian to insight homophobic hate?

If the Christian is openly trying to insight homophobic hate in public, I think the police can get involved. Whether they do or not is another matter.

I don't think it's recognised as an official religion on it's own.
True. It's not recognised as being an official religion, being Scottish isn't either, or being a traveller.

Posted by RootsBooster

Is it illegal to have an arranged, mutually agreed fight, as long as it isn't disturbing the peace? I think anyone can keep their kids from school as long as they (claim to be) home-schooled.

I believe it is illegal to arrange a mutually agreed fight without having the necessary licence and a doctor present. Neither of which are customary practice in bare knuckle fights amongst amongst members of the travelling community. With regards to travellers home schooling their children. Most travellers can't read or write themselves let alone teach their kids how to.

Posted by RootsBooster

I don't think this is true, some do marry more than one in religious ceremony, but I don't think they are recognised under law. It's similar to someone just having several girlfriends and/or families with them, legally.

It would be recognised in law and exemptions are made providing the wedding ceremony was held overseas. A muslim man can have as many wives as he liked providing he doesn't marry them over here.

Posted by RootsBooster

You got me on that one :confused:

Equally confused:confused:

Posted by RootsBooster

If the Christian is openly trying to insight homophobic hate in public, I think the police can get involved. Whether they do or not is another matter.

They don't seem to be taking it seriously enough in my opinion. Condemning someone for their sexually should be taken just as seriously as condemning them for their ethnicity or skin tone.