Rastafarian movement/laws on smoking marijuana.

So it IS or it ISN'T down to the loophole?
No. The loophole would enable a muslim man to divorce his wife under under uk law while continuing to live with her under Islamic law, and obtain a spouse visa for a foreign woman he can legally marry.

Whereas the exemption results from UK ministers recognising the need to make Islamic polygamy exempt from legislations on bigamy.

You'd be commiting a crime and come under criminal law aswell, so you could be done for assault. The crown could still prosecute you and your friend despite you both agreeing to fight.

Assult relies on one or other of the parties wishing to press charges, or at least support the CPS in an attempt to press charges on their behalf.

In other countries!!:rolleyes:

And? If you got married in France, should that not be recognised in the UK? Likewise, if you get married in the UK, should that not be recognised in other countries?

Assult relies on one or other of the parties wishing to press charges

Not always, which is why I said 'could'.

I just left the computer and thougt "I'm being a pedant", which is true, and it is also off-topic, so I won't bicker any further. :)

And? If you got married in France, should that not be recognised in the UK? Likewise, if you get married in the UK, should that not be recognised in other countries?
Of course it should. But how many women would I be allowed to marry legally under French and British law?

Of course it should. But how many women would I be allowed to marry legally under French and British law?

Why does it matter? If a second (or subsequent) marriage is performed in a country where that is legal, why shouldn't those marriages be recognised elsewhere?

There are still numerous countries where it is illegal to be divorced, making it illegal to remarry (except in the event of a partners death), virtually all, if not actually all of them, recognise divorce and remarriage when legally performed in other countries. In your opinion, is that wrong?

No. The loophole would enable a muslim man to divorce his wife under under uk law while continuing to live with her under Islamic law, and obtain a spouse visa for a foreign woman he can legally marry.

Whereas the exemption results from UK ministers recognising the need to make Islamic polygamy exempt from legislations on bigamy.

So, what you're saying is that UK law recognises a man may be a polygamist in another country but not legally marry more than one in the UK? Am I understanding you right now?

If so, it's like UK law recognising that a Rastafarian can legally smoke cannabis in Italy, but not legally being able to smoke it here.