Should we expect extreme behavior in larger populations ?

Are you saying that 3 stabbings and possibly 3 murders in 3 nights in Sheffield is acceptable because it is a large city?:huh:

In that case, would 10 murders in 10 nights also be acceptable?

no i never said its acceptable, but compared to some smaller places its far far far less and a lot better / safer place to live

its like nottingham being classed as the gun crime capital, sheffield has had shootings but even tho its far larger its had far far less than nottingham

I think this is correct, if you have 1 serial killer per million people then your going to have more serial killers in a country with a large population

The make up of the population also determines crime levels surely, what about ethnicity.

I wasnt trying to derail the thread or anything, just wondered how multi racial mixes effected crime levels.

yes cos all white people are good

all black people are bad

and all asians are suicide bombers

I wasnt trying to derail the thread or anything, just wondered how multi racial mixes effected crime levels.

I don't think it does, Mexico city is (I imagine) mostly populated by Mexicans but is one of the most dangerous citys on earth.

The op's question could apply to anything in society.

Would I be more likely to fall out with a friend if I had 100 friends as opposed to 10 friends? Answer- YES.

Or

Would an employer be more likely to sack a thief if he had 1000 employees as opposed to 100 employees?- Answer- Yes.

It's ratio related isn't it?

It may also be the case that in large cities cliques of extremists may form offering a sort of support network which may cause extremists to act where if they were complete loners they may be more cowed by social norms?

it's true that in a big city you are more likely to find other people with the same views as yourself, wether or not that makes you do violent things i don't know, you read a lot about lone gunmen in small US towns that had no friends or social interaction and just flipped out of their own accord

Archived