Looking to to find where RITBITS was

Has anyone come across the word RITBITS , my mother worked in sheffield during the second world war , and she kept referring to working at ritbits , just wondered if anyone can help

maybe rivets:confused:

• 6 years later...

My mum used to work there in the war. I used to think that was the name but it was actually Rip-bits and I think they made boring bits for mines. During the war they were required to make shell casings. They became part of a larger mining engineering company called Padley & Venables in Dronfield who as far as I know are still in existence. There is now a bronze statue outside Sheffield city hall in honour of the ladies who went into engineering for the war effort.

Quite right, Hadders - here is a scan from the 1942 Kelly's Directory showing the firm on Hill Street (Padley & Venables were at the same address). By 1950 Rip-Bits also had addresses on Canal Street and Claywood Road. The 1959 directory shows them on Callywhite Lane, Dronfield, with Padley & Venables also there.

Edited by hillsbro

Yes I’m sure mum worked on canal street because she spoke of some staff visiting a pub called ‘the north pole’ at lunch time, and there was such a place just off effingham road. I do have a photo of her stood in front of a company van but the only address visible on the van is hill street ( bramall lane area?).

Yes I’m sure mum worked on canal street because she spoke of some staff visiting a pub called ‘the north pole’ at lunch time, and there was such a place just off effingham road. I do have a photo of her stood in front of a company van but the only address visible on the van is hill street ( bramall lane area?).

Yes the North Pole pub (Tetley's ales) was on Sussex Street/Effingham Road-Norfolk Bridge area.