Whisky..(and some other words)

What's the point of buying a whisky that's been lovingly matured for 10, 15, 20 years, only for someone to think they can do better by adding water!? :loopy:

You'd be better off drinking Alcopops! (nothing to do with me)

I once saw someone being asked to leave the premises of a pub in Derbyshire when they asked for water in a glass of (what turned out to be very old and rare) whisky! :hihi:

All whisky, apart from cask strength is watered down, usually to 40% ABV. It's about 60% ABV once matured and then diluted for bottling.

You'll find that adding water to whisky is perfectly acceptable and that there's always a small jug of water on the bar in Scotland for that very purpose. It's all a matter of personal taste and there's no right or wrong when it comes to adding water.

I dunno about you, but I find 48% ABV (as in Laphroaig Quarter Cask) is a bit too strong for me to drink neat.

However, adding ice to decent whisky is an abomination as it numbs the taste buds.

What's the point of buying a whisky that's been lovingly matured for 10, 15, 20 years, only for someone to think they can do better by adding water!? :loopy:

You'd be better off drinking Alcopops! (nothing to do with me)

I once saw someone being asked to leave the premises of a pub in Derbyshire when they asked for water in a glass of (what turned out to be very old and rare) whisky! :hihi:

Doh.

We'd best send the cask strength bottles back as those stupid head brewers have added instructions telling you to mix it with water to taste. They must have got it wrong though. :hihi:

Laphroiagh and Lagavulin are the two I drink most often, I've got a few bottles that were sherry casket aged, which I quite like, and some Irish and Japanese whisky for the experience. I'll drink most malts though, haven't found one that I disliked, just some that I like more than others.

Whiskey is a problem for me, as I hate the cheaper brands such as Bells and Grants.

I love Johnnie Walker Blue Label, but it is very expensive. I also like a drop of Glenfiddich!

Yeah, I always think I shouldn't like Bells, but I'm not sure why I do, it just tastes so good.

I believe a couple or three of the Jock distillery's are now owned by our little yellow skined friends.

Regards

Angel.

Yellow skin? Are they Simpsons characters? :D

*gets coat*

As for Whisky, I can't stand the stuff! :gag: even the smell of it gives me a headache!

Archived