Whisky..(and some other words)

Favourite depends on my mood. I used to opt for a Laphroig but at the moment i'm enjoying Dalmore. Rosebank is also a real winner although i have the dregs of one bottle and one fresh bottle. Its getting hard to get hold of so i'm tempted to leave it sealed.

Its worth trying some of the foreign ones. The Indian Amrut Fusion is getting very good reviews at the moment.

I have about 50 bottles and rising so i can usually find one i have a taste for :D

As for the water thing, why wouldn't you. In fact a cask strength is not very pleasant with out something to open it up. I have a 22yr Cask strength Glenugie thats 64% BV it would be horrible without a spot of filtered water to release some of the subtler notes. No ice though. If you visit the Scotch Whisky Society tasting rooms in Leith they will always offer water. I'm guessing they know a little bit about Whisky.

I also keep a bottle of Bells for those that want coke in it :gag:

I dream of smokey, peaty phenolic single malts. Not to say I don't enjoy a smoother one but I love that hit of smoke.

CUEY - as a person who loves whisky, what would you recommend I try. Taliskers, Laphroaig, smokehead and all the usual smokey suspects have been hit. I will order online if I must but having a young family I can't spend loads on it regularly but as a treat, why not? Throw some names to me and recommendations.

Not a big fan of Scotch, although I do like Glenmorangie. A lot of Scotches have the peaty taste that derives from the soil that the water passes through.

Now Irish, that's a different thing. I graduated through the Bushmill's list, from Red Bush to Black Bush and onto to the 10 &16yr old single malt. Jameson's is a lovely, smooth, triple distilled whiskey, but for me the top of the Irish tree has to be Midleton Very Rare. Not cheap, and not strictly a single malt, but so smooth and tastey. mmmmmMidleton.

Close, its more noticibly from using peat to dry the malt. The peat smoke imparts a smokey peat to the dried malting. For example a Laphroaig gets about 18 hours over peat smoke where as a lowland may not use any peat at all. Environmentally its becoming an issue as the use of peat is seen as unsustainable. The problem is there is no real alternative for whisky if you want the taste.

I dream of smokey, peaty phenolic single malts. Not to say I don't enjoy a smoother one but I love that hit of smoke.

CUEY - as a person who loves whisky, what would you recommend I try. Taliskers, Laphroaig, smokehead and all the usual smokey suspects have been hit. I will order online if I must but having a young family I can't spend loads on it regularly but as a treat, why not? Throw some names to me and recommendations.

Well if you want lots of smoke then you a really tallking Islay (Laphroaig is one of them) Assuming your wanting to drink not invest then Ardbeg do a huge range. For something a bit different Coal Ila can be good although its a mixed bag and can be tricky to find ( £30 for the most available 12 yr old). Nice if you want people to see you with something different though. Bruichladdich have done dozens but they did a nice set of 3 "peat" "rock" and "Waves". Peat being the most peated, rock in the middle and Waves hardly at all (about £40 a bottle). It was a nice way to see the difference. I have all 3 and is a set i use if friends want to taste what peat does to whisky.

My whisky tend to fall into collect (69 Bowmore, Special edition Ardbeg, Original Rosebank, 1970 Glengoyne etc) And, to drink the other 50 :D

If you know what you like then its worth getting a Whisky flavour map which you can download for free or buy. That way you can get some pointers on what you may like and fill in the gaps with stuff you've tried. You can build up a good guide of your own and lots of forums mention where something comes on the map.

Well if you want lots of smoke then you a really tallking Islay (Laphroaig is one of them) Assuming your wanting to drink not invest then Ardbeg do a huge range. For something a bit different Coal Ila can be good although its a mixed bag and can be tricky to find ( £30 for the most available 12 yr old). Nice if you want people to see you with something different though. Bruichladdich have done dozens but they did a nice set of 3 "peat" "rock" and "Waves". Peat being the most peated, rock in the middle and Waves hardly at all (about £40 a bottle). It was a nice way to see the difference. I have all 3 and is a set i use if friends want to taste what peat does to whisky.

My whisky tend to fall into collect (69 Bowmore, Special edition Ardbeg, Original Rosebank, 1970 Glengoyne etc) And, to drink the other 50 :D

If you know what you like then its worth getting a Whisky flavour map which you can download for free or buy. That way you can get some pointers on what you may like and fill in the gaps with stuff you've tried. You can build up a good guide of your own and lots of forums mention where something comes on the map.

Thankyou very much for that. I will take your advice and do some ordering payday. I really am sad as I intend to start keeping notes in future as I have tried many different types and it would have been nice to look back at favourites.

cheers

We've just sent our son a 40 year old Tamnavulin for his birthday (he was 40, surprise, surprise!) It was expensive, but more affordable than many of that age. Just hope he likes it - he says he'll save it til we visit and he and his dad can taste it together.

You seem to know quite a bit, I just wondered if you'd tried it.

We've just sent our son a 40 year old Tamnavulin for his birthday (he was 40, surprise, surprise!) It was expensive, but more affordable than many of that age. Just hope he likes it - he says he'll save it til we visit and he and his dad can taste it together.

You seem to know quite a bit, I just wondered if you'd tried it.

If its the anniversary 40 Yr old then no i'm haven't i'm afraid. He's a lucky lad if he got that off you. It gets a good review and lets be honest they won't keep whisky for 40 years if its going to be bad. The bad stuff ends up in blends way before then.

The 16 yr old is quit good. Its sort of a Speyside so not a peaty malt. The one i did try was sort of spicy and sweet (its really difficult to explain a taste). If he likes whisky i'm sure he'll find it very drinkable if he opens it.

If you like trying stuff then the Wee Dram in Bakewell is a good shop. They often do tasting sessions as well. The only problem is its tiny so it can get a bit cramped on a weekend.

If its the anniversary 40 Yr old then no i'm haven't i'm afraid. He's a lucky lad if he got that off you. It gets a good review and lets be honest they won't keep whisky for 40 years if its going to be bad. The bad stuff ends up in blends way before then.

The 16 yr old is quit good. Its sort of a Speyside so not a peaty malt. The one i did try was sort of spicy and sweet (its really difficult to explain a taste). If he likes whisky i'm sure he'll find it very drinkable if he opens it.

If you like trying stuff then the Wee Dram in Bakewell is a good shop. They often do tasting sessions as well. The only problem is its tiny so it can get a bit cramped on a weekend.

It was the Anniversary 40 year old. He has a decent job, and there isn't much he needs, so we just thought it would be a bit of luxury he wouldn't buy for himself.

A tasting session would be wasted on me, I don't even like the smell, but might suggest it to my husband - I think he'd love it!

I bought my nephew, when he was born, a bottle of 20 year old single malt (can't remember which) to be opened on his 18th birthday, That was sixteen years ago!

I just hope it tastes OK when it's opened! :hihi:

(It's stored at my parents house to prevent prying hands!)

I bought my nephew, when he was born, a bottle of 20 year old single malt (can't remember which) to be opened on his 18th birthday, That was sixteen years ago!

I just hope it tastes OK when it's opened! :hihi:

(It's stored at my parents house to prevent prying hands!)

how about a fluffy bee for every year of his life! Did you get those in the end? Have a neat 60% whiskey to celebrate if you did :P

how about a fluffy bee for every year of his life! Did you get those in the end? Have a neat 60% whiskey to celebrate if you did :P

Are you referring to my predilection to non-fluffy wasps perchance? :P:hihi:

Archived