Petrol VS Diesel - Which is cheaper?

it doesn't sound like a petrol

So? Who cares what it sounds like other than a Clarkson wannabe? Are you the type of person who puts a stupid big exhaust on their 1L Corsa? My current diesel literally purrs and isn't noisy at all.

it doesn't go like a petrol

Again, not heard of a TDI? My little 1.3 diesel Punto would run rings around the petrol equivalent. Moving up the scale, my Focus TDCI was like lightning.

it doesn't drive like a petrol

Who cares? On the British roads what does it matter?

Petrol car is a driver's car.

Maybe on the track, but most of us live most of our lives in the real world.

Yes diesel cars are more expensive than petrol, but the residual value, and depreciation is better than a petrol. Diesel cars will be easier to sell on than petrol too.

A 2.0 petrol Mondeo will be harder to sell than a 2.0 TDCi Mondeo for example :)

Drive a 3 litre remapped bmw diesel coupe, then tell me diesels are boring!!

Have owned Petrol, LPG and Diesel vehicles. I have a modern 1.5lt diesel which drives and sounds like a dream. Apart from immediate acceleration where I would say Petrol has the edge, it will easily match and beat petrol vehicles on the motorway. It's not even a TDI, it's a Renault Megane Estate Dynamique and is, by several hundred miles, hands down, the best vehicle I have owned to date.

Diesel cars will be easier to sell on than petrol too.

A 2.0 petrol Mondeo will be harder to sell than a 2.0 TDCi Mondeo for example :)

Spot on there. I was looking at the Peugeot 407. I thought I'd found an absolute bargain, it was £1000 cheaper than all the others I'd been looking at. When I looked closer, I found out why - it was petrol!

So? Who cares what it sounds like other than a Clarkson wannabe? Are you the type of person who puts a stupid big exhaust on their 1L Corsa? My current diesel literally purrs and isn't noisy at all.

Again, not heard of a TDI? My little 1.3 diesel Punto would run rings around the petrol equivalent. Moving up the scale, my Focus TDCI was like lightning.

Who cares? On the British roads what does it matter?

Maybe on the track, but most of us live most of our lives in the real world.

No in fact I have a V6 petrol and it doesn't sound like a tractor. If you are going to compare please do it like for like. Turbo vs Turbo, NASP vs NASP. Don't compare a turbo diesel against a NSAP petrol.

Another thinks that TDi is the best thing since slice bread.

No in fact I have a V6 petrol and it doesn't sound like a tractor. If you are going to compare please do it like for like. Turbo vs Turbo, NASP vs NASP. Don't compare a turbo diesel against a NSAP petrol.

Another thinks that TDi is the best thing since slice bread.

I have both a petrol and a diesel car...Do you want to know which one's the best for unstressed motorway miles.....about 40,000 of which I do a year...why is the comparison between a turbo diesel and a non-turbo petrol invalid...it seems to bother you that your V6 might not be all it could be.. :) It's horses for courses...

why is the comparison between a turbo diesel and a non-turbo petrol invalid...it seems to bother you that your V6 might not be all it could be.. :) It's horses for courses...

We are comparing petrol v Diesel, like for like. You can't compare a 2L non turbo petrol v 2L turbo diesel, that is not like for like. You probably know what the outcome is anyway. It bothers me that I am being referred to driving a 1L Corsa with a coke can exhaust but it seems to bother you that I drive a V6....it's horses for course if you have to drive a diesel.

We are comparing petrol v Diesel, like for like. You can't compare a 2L non turbo petrol v 2L turbo diesel, that is not like for like. You probably know what the outcome is anyway. It bothers me that I am being referred to driving a 1L Corsa with a coke can exhaust but it seems to bother you that I drive a V6....it's horses for course if you have to drive a diesel.

I'm not bothered in the slightest about your V6..I'll see that and add raise you 2 cylinders...as I said I also have a petrol engined car.. :) There's no "better" between diesel and petrol engines..it all depends on what you are using them for...I get 150hp and loads of torque from my diesel,and great fuel economy..50mpg for a large estate car..ideal for my motorway driving..not as much fun to drive as my petrol "weekender"..but, as I said,horses for courses...Oh and by the way,I never said anything about corsa and coke can.. :)

Which is best and cheapest overall?

We're always lead to believe that diesel gives you more MPG but then this fuel costs more and in my experience diesel engines require more maintenance and oil changes.

ford fiesta tdci my opinion nothing to touch it low cost servicing £35 a year tax 65mpg and keeps up with most petrol cars never gets touched between services exeptt screen wash low insurance thumbs up for diesel

Archived