Petrol VS Diesel - Which is cheaper?

and.....

It is not a petrol, it doesn't sound like a petrol, it doesn't go like a petrol, it doesn't drive like a petrol and will never be like a petrol. Petrol car is a driver's car.

Why does a car need to sound like a petrol??? TDI is good in its own right and gives much better MPG than petrol. I'm not a boy racer nor a wealthy Ferrari driver.

For me TDI is perfect, good performance and good efficiency.

I'm not bothered in the slightest about your V6..I'll see that and add raise you 2 cylinders...as I said I also have a petrol engined car.. :) There's no "better" between diesel and petrol engines..it all depends on what you are using them for...I get 150hp and loads of torque from my diesel,and great fuel economy..50mpg for a large estate car..ideal for my motorway driving..not as much fun to drive as my petrol "weekender"..but, as I said,horses for courses...Oh and by the way,I never said anything about corsa and coke can.. :)

And back to discussing diesel v petrol, you have mentioned about torque in your diesel. That is of course due to the turbo. As diesel engine without a turbo is almost next to useless.

And back to discussing diesel v petrol, you have mentioned about torque in your diesel. That is of course due to the turbo. As diesel engine without a turbo is almost next to useless.

So what,I really don't see your problem....what does it matter?How many non-turbo diesels are produced these days...? OK what's trhe fuel consumption of a 2 litre turbo petrol compared to a 2 litre turbo diesel? See, there's more than one way to describe "better" :) The OP specifically asked which is cheaper....

No in fact I have a V6 petrol and it doesn't sound like a tractor. If you are going to compare please do it like for like. Turbo vs Turbo, NASP vs NASP. Don't compare a turbo diesel against a NSAP petrol.

Another thinks that TDi is the best thing since slice bread.

Maybe you should re-read the OPs initial post. This isn't a "my engine is bigger and has more power than yours", save that for your "Fast Ford" magazine (or equivalent) and sitting in supermarket car parks! :)

Although Freud would probably have plenty to say about some posts on this thread!

Anyway, I'll carry on driving my 2L TDI, get 60+ mpg, and cheap road tax. Maybe that's why the petrol owning posters feel the need to put down diesels?

So what,I really don't see your problem....what does it matter?How many non-turbo diesels are produced these days...? OK what's trhe fuel consumption of a 2 litre turbo petrol compared to a 2 litre turbo diesel? See, there's more than one way to describe "better" :) The OP specifically asked which is cheaper....

It's just that diesels are not all it cracked up to be. And obviously to some people they certainly are the best thing since slice bread.

With some of the german petrol engines around the gap between petrol mpg and diesel mpg is narrowing. Always said that I would never have a diesel until I tried one. I used to drive anything upto 60k miles a year and have done it with both. Yes the petrol was fun especially with variable valve timing but there is nothing to compare( except modern supercars) with the sensation of accelerating at certain speeds with a modern diesel. If it is effortless cruising on trunk roads you need go diesel, if you like revving the engine to sound like a boy racer then go with petrol.

There has to be more to life than just buying a car on cost alone.

It's just that diesels are not all it cracked up to be. And obviously to some people they certainly are the best thing since slice bread.

Hmmm, then why can you regularly see second hand diesels in Autotrader with 200,000 miles (and then some) on the clock and still going strong, but few petrol equivalents?

Archived