Petrol VS Diesel - Which is cheaper?

They are both manifestations of the same effect. merely measured in a different way. Torque is measured in Nm, which is dimensially the same as Joules per meter. Power is joules per second. Both are different ways fo describing the same thing - namely the energy output of a heat engine.

With some of the german petrol engines around the gap between petrol mpg and diesel mpg is narrowing. Always said that I would never have a diesel until I tried one. I used to drive anything upto 60k miles a year and have done it with both. Yes the petrol was fun especially with variable valve timing but there is nothing to compare( except modern supercars) with the sensation of accelerating at certain speeds with a modern diesel. If it is effortless cruising on trunk roads you need go diesel, if you like revving the engine to sound like a boy racer then go with petrol.

There has to be more to life than just buying a car on cost alone.

Nah, at closer inspection you will find the German petrol cars getting slower but better mpg, and the diesels faster and even better mpg!

:)

An example is a 10 plate bmw 3 series coupe

for a standard 320CD, urban is 47.1 mpg, combined 58.9 mpg and extra urban 68.9 0-60 in 7.9 secs

A 320i coupe urban is 32.8 mpg, combined is 42.8 mpg, extra urban is 52.3 mpg 0-60 in 8.1 secs

just as an example

Torque is just power measured in a different way....

Torque and BHP are completely different.

HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252 (where torque is measured in Pounds-feet [if you want the powere in KwH and the torque in Newton-Meters, do the conversions.)

Petrol engines tend to rev higher than do diesel engines and produce their maximum torque output at higher rpm than do diesels.

Diesel engines develop higher torque at low rpm.

In the UK, diesel does not have a tax advantage. The initial cost of a diesel-engined vehicle is higher than that of the same vehicle fitted with a petrol engine and the fuel costs more per litre (but fuel consumption is lower.)

In Europe, diesel is usually taxed at lower rates than petrol BUT in many countries the annual 'road tax' on a diesel-engined vehicle is considerably higher than it is on a petrol-engined vehicle. In those countries, if you are a high mileage driver, diesel is cheaper. - If you are a low mileage driver, petrol is cheaper.

Archived