Gove - teacher strike and lose respect !

As a civil servant in the education sector I can only say that the tories are ruining what education we have left in this country. One by opening hundreds of Academies when they haven't thought it through or planned it. They have caused quite a mess although this isn't known to the public. Secondly by getting rid of funding for learners at college and university and making it increasingly difficult for people on low incomes to progress. I say this from working in this area but it's only my opinion.

I am on a low salary and have a civil service pension. Currently my projected pension when I retire on my current terms and conditions is £7000 a year. Hardly gold plated for working full time for all those years. However if the changes go through god knows what my pension would be. Not survivable on though. I would have to leave the pension as my contributions would double to an amount I couldn't afford. We aren't all on amazing salaries I'm afraid with promises of great pensions. The media as played a part in drumming up the belief we will all be rich when in fact it will be the few top people who will do well out of it.

Unfortunately I won't be striking as I can't afford to lose a day's wage but I wholeheartedly support every single person striking. It's every person's right to withdraw labour! Good luck to everyone on Thursday.

As a civil servant in the education sector I can only say that the tories are ruining what education we have left in this country. One by opening hundreds of Academies when they haven't thought it through or planned it. They have caused quite a mess although this isn't known to the public. Secondly by getting rid of funding for learners at college and university and making it increasingly difficult for people on low incomes to progress. I say this from working in this area but it's only my opinion.

I am on a low salary and have a civil service pension. Currently my projected pension when I retire on my current terms and conditions is £7000 a year. Hardly gold plated for working full time for all those years. However if the changes go through god knows what my pension would be. Not survivable on though. I would have to leave the pension as my contributions would double to an amount I couldn't afford. We aren't all on amazing salaries I'm afraid with promises of great pensions. The media as played a part in drumming up the belief we will all be rich when in fact it will be the few top people who will do well out of it.

Unfortunately I won't be striking as I can't afford to lose a day's wage but I wholeheartedly support every single person striking. It's every person's right to withdraw labour! Good luck to everyone on Thursday.

Is that in addition to your state pension or instead of it?

As a civil servant in the education sector I can only say that the tories are ruining what education we have left in this country.

Maybe they consider teaching people how to think for themselves is a bad idea because people might just begin to question their policies and authority. So dumb down education and train students/people how to do specific jobs (Vocational courses) rather than teaching them how to learn.

Is that in addition to your state pension or instead of it?

The approx average state pension for person in a couple is £3800 a year if you have a private pension or any other income so add this to a private pension (7K a year) that someone has paid between 5-7% of their wage into for 40-45 years of their working life and that brings the total to 11K a year. I bet that is not far off someone who does not work, gets housing bennefits and does not have to pay £1200 council tax a year. Seems fair enough to me considering they have paid into the system for over 40 years.

Do you reckon there will still be a state pension in 40 years time?

Would the state of your pension be down to Mr Brown raiding private pension funds when he was Chancellor? How are the private pension funds ever going to improve if the public ones are decimated?

Brown didn't raid pension funds. He removed the tax credits for share dividends which were effectively a 20% credit from the tax payer. Yep, 20 %. Few public sector pension schemes have enjoyed that kind of support.

At the time many pension funds were in surplus with companies reducing contributions through the 90s. Given that the 11 years following 1997 were very profitable for companies why did so many companies press the destruct button on their pension schemes, massively reducing contributions and reducing benefits?

1. Because they'd thrown the rattle out the pram after the ACT changes in '97

2. Because their stupid employees let them do it ;)

3. Because there were no unions to fight against the companies

4. Because it was massively profitable for companies to benefit at the empense of their employee pensions.

Because private sector employees chose to stand back and let their employers steal their pensions why should public sector employees do the same?

There is some case for change (increased lifespan etc...) but make no mistake it is the government that are effectively refusing to negotiate.

Ive worked for teachers, coppers and the like, they all screw you down to the lowest pos price, every time. I always do a perfect job what ever the money. The people who pay the best are normal workers in fact those on the council estates are my best customers. Coppers think they are entitled to some sort of discount WHY? and teachers talk to you like you are a kid and its got worse during this downturn. I'm allright Jack.

And you think you'd be better off if these teachers and coppers had less disposable income....how?

Archived