Spire Brewery opening pub in Dronfield

Andy C

Nothing new to report - its been bought, a manager has been appointed, its to be refurbished I think and will open in a month or two as a free house with 6 handpumps on each bar with at least some of the beer from local breweries.

That's good news.:)

I'm not excited about the prospect of Spire Ales based on the ones I've tasted so far from that brewery. Pretty bland. But if they are going to have some decent guest beers, preferably local ones and not your usual "mainstream beginners real ales" like London Pride, Black Sheep and the like, it could be good?

It will have to be good to get me to give up the Thornbridge brews, available just a short walking distance from there, or to prevent me travelling miles to seek out Buxton Brewery's superior beers, wherever I may find them.

I'm not excited about the prospect of Spire Ales based on the ones I've tasted so far from that brewery. Pretty bland. But if they are going to have some decent guest beers, preferably local ones and not your usual "mainstream beginners real ales" like London Pride, Black Sheep and the like, it could be good?

It will have to be good to get me to give up the Thornbridge brews, available just a short walking distance from there, or to prevent me travelling miles to seek out Buxton Brewery's superior beers, wherever I may find them.

Some of their beers such as Sgt Pepper Stout are interesting, others are not much to write home about.

As you say, the guest beers will matter, and if they are from the local brewers such as Buxton & Raw Brewery then all the better.

Are Thornbridge or Buxton THAT good? I assume you are a fan of very hoppy, excessively bitter beers.

You can find out more about Spire's beers at http://www.spirebrewery.co.uk/

The Sidings is going to be called The Dronfield apparently.

Two 'new' real ale pubs within a couple of hundred yards.... both expected to open within weeks...things are looking bleak for the over-cooled lager pubs. Lets hope that the 'new' pubs don't have televisions or juke boxes, and don't allow mobile phones.

Archived