Spire Brewery opening pub in Dronfield

Andy C

I can't say that I have come across any that I 'dislike'. Some I wouldn't buy again maybe, but they are all different, and most small breweries have a fair range.

Meanwhile, any reports from the 'paint-in' at the Hallowes last weekend?

When u dislike one beer from a small brewery u seem to dislike them all

Hardly! I'm not fond of beers from Brampton but I'm very fond of beers from the likes of Raw Brewery, Acorn and so forth.

And I'm not sure I'd class Thornbridge as being all that small these days. It's more a matter of whether or not you prefer your beers very hoppy like Jaipur or more malty like a good dark beer. And most breweries these days provide a range of beers to suit your palate.

Hardly! I'm not fond of beers from Brampton but I'm very fond of beers from the likes of Raw Brewery, Acorn and so forth.

And I'm not sure I'd class Thornbridge as being all that small these days. It's more a matter of whether or not you prefer your beers very hoppy like Jaipur or more malty like a good dark beer. And most breweries these days provide a range of beers to suit your palate.

Sorry I meant when you dislike one brew you often dislikw their other brews,well its what I find. Give me a good dark beer any day!

Sorry I meant when you dislike one brew you often dislike their other brews

Not always the case. For instance the 1st Brewdog beer I ever had was Trashy Blonde which is IMHO the most over-rated beer in the UK and utter drek. However, I love 5AM Saint, Bashah, Punk (new recipe), Growler, and Alice Porter. If I'd given up after trying Trashy I'd have missed out on a lot of good beer.

punk is horrible. trashy is horrible. always fancied trying some of their AB beers though.

I used to find Punk too bitter for my taste, but the new recipe is a lot better. One thing I would say about Brewpooch however, is that I do find a lot of their keg output way too fizzy.

I think Punk is a bit like Jaipur, but not as smooth. I guess it's hardly a surprise they're similar when the joint owner of Brewdog used to work at Thornbridge.

I quite like Spire beers and they did the best beer on the Three Valleys Beer Festival, but I'd put both Thornbridge and Brewdog ahead of them.

Jaipur, Halcyon, Kipling and St Petersberg are all cracking beers, although I don't think Thornbridge do the traditional brown beer very well.

My favourite brown beers are Broadside, Abbott Reserve and most beers by Fuller's.

The South end of Sheffield seems to have some good real ale pubs, we could do with one of those in High Green.

Regards

Doom

Archived