Spire Brewery opening pub in Dronfield

Andy C

Im going to go against the grain and say I was a fan of the old punk, the new punk is easier to drink but I could literally suck on a hop and I wouldnt find it too hoppy. Have they changed Hardcore IPA? Im sure the strength of that has been reduced as well as punk. I also love the green hopped Halcyon from Thornbridge. The hoppiest beer i've had is Ruination IPA by Stone if you drink a bottle of that you aint tasting anything else for a long time and I even mean dark smokey stouts and all you can still taste is what is best described as green!

Over 100 beers / Ciders available at the 4 day beer festival held at Rising sun pub 471, Fulwood Road, Nether Green, Sheffield S10 3QA from Thurs 7th to the Sunday 10th of July 2011.

This will be the 5th festival listing, over the weekend they will also be having a Hog roast from whirlow farm and tombola / cakes and Sunday fun dog show 2pm start attended by Rain (Dog & Cat) Rescue. This sure is going to be a wonderful event.

Come along its going to be great and there are loads of beers to sample.

Are Thornbridge or Buxton THAT good? I assume you are a fan of very hoppy, excessively bitter beers.

You can find out more about Spire's beers at http://www.spirebrewery.co.uk/

It's all about personal taste I suppose. But the Axe Edge and Jaipur beers from Buxton and Thornbridge respectively are both Gold Medal winners apparently - so I think that kind of suggests that a lot of people do rate them highly. I'd rate Axe Edge in particular as probably the best beer I've ever tasted.

I like my beers to have a bit of strength and depth. Generally speaking, I'm attracted to those with an ABV of 5% or more. I'm grateful to you for posting the link btw - there's a couple of strong ones which I didn't know about that I will look forward to trying.

A lot depends on how well they keep their ales as well. Maybe I've been unlucky with the Spire brew in the past. I will keep an open mind (and mouth).

Press release from the brewery

PRESS RELEASE FOR THE THREE TUNS, DRONFIELD

135, Cemetery Road, Dronfield, S18 1XX

Local business, SPIRE BREWERY is bucking the trend of failing pubs by opening a genuine freehouse in Dronfield.

QUALITY ON TAP…

Formerly known as The Hallowes, the pub will be re-opened by August with 12 quality locally-brewed real ales from Spire Brewery and guest microbreweries, at least two real ciders and a selection of Continental draught beers including Bernard pilsner from the Czech Republic, as well as a home-cooked menu of traditional favourites including steak & ale pie, sausage & mash, and The Three Tuns all-day breakfast!

Re-naming the new pub ‘The Three Tuns’ is part of Spire Brewery’s vision of celebrating the traditional art of brewing and the Great British pub… For those who aren’t familiar with a ‘tun’ it’s just an old alternative name for a large wooden barrel and three tuns just happen to be on the coat-of arms for the Worshipful Company of Brewers. This salute to the past is also being continued by having the exterior of the building taken back to it’s original black-and-white Tudor-style paintwork.

Also part of the vision is to offer friendly and comfortable surroundings with good value food and drink. The pub will be working closely with local suppliers and aims to host regular events such as beer festivals, wine and whisky-tastings, a dining club and a regular quiz night.

WHAT’S ON OFFER?

 A varied selection of 12 hand-pulled locally brewed real ales.

 At least 2 real ciders on draught.

 A range of Continental draught beers including Bernard pilsner.

 An exclusive wine list from the Society of Vintners

 Traditional home-cooked food and bar snacks

 Comfortable surroundings for tea, coffee and cakes

 Dog-friendly and family friendly (children welcome until 8:00pm)

FURTHER INFORMATION:

Spire Brewery has been brewing since April 2006 and has rapidly acquired a national reputation for a varied range of quality real ales. It is based in Staveley, North Derbyshire, and at full production can produce 11,500 pints a week, which it supplies mainly within a 30-mile radius of the brewery. David McLaren, the head brewer, is an ex-Scots Guards bandsman who changed a career as a Secondary School Head of Music by following his passion for brewing.

Opening Times:

Monday – Friday 11:00am – 11:00pm

Saturday 11:00am – 12:00 midnight

Sunday 11:00am – 10:30pm

Food Serving Times

Monday – Friday 12:00pm – 2:30pm & 5:00pm – 7:30pm

Saturday 12:00pm – 7:30pm

Sunday 12:00pm – 5:00pm

Another one for me to visit in the next 6 months. When it opens would some kind person post about whether they are using oversize glasses and the price of their beers, please? I've always found Dronfield really expensive to drink in, hope this one is different. Good luck to them - hope they spark a trade war with the opposition and beer prices tumble........though I think all the traders get together and fix all their prices high. But I can have my dream.....

Archived