Council should let you vote on possible tenants

I think it would be a good idea that when a council property becomes empty all the residents on the road, Maybe 5 up and 5 down from the empty property should be allowed to have a brief meeting with the possible "new tenants", tell them what the road is like, I.e quiet, friendly and what behaviour wouldnt be tolerated from them, And then let the tenants vote on who they want to receive the tenancy on the property. This is because our road was always quiet and lovely, theres not many council properties left on here, we are private, The council have given a home to a family who are always shouting, swearing and arguing , anything from 7am to 10 pm, niether of them work so dont consider anyone who does, they have 4 children who shout and swear also, they are what would be considered scum! Some neighbours have had a quiet word with them and explained that noise in the garden carries a long way and that everyone can hear her swearing but to no avail. So point being if we could have met them first and voted they would never have got on here

:roll:

You wouldn't have the right to vet a private buyer or a private tennant. I don't see why you should have any special rights just because the tennant is renting from the council or a housing association.

I didnt mean it in the sense of "ohh i own my home so im special" I meant that when ever someone new moves on a road may it be by renting or buying maybe the poor sods that live there already should have a say in who moves in

But is it just me or wouldnt it be better to have all the "chavs and scum" in one place? lol Or maybe the council should just take more responsibility for the people they put in areas and not make it a long dragged out ordeal to complain about their actions? Theres no easy answer but sometimes i wish i could pick houses up with the scum in them and move them a good few roads away lol

:roll:

I didnt mean it in the sense of "ohh i own my home so im special" I meant that when ever someone new moves on a road may it be by renting or buying maybe the poor sods that live there already should have a say in who moves in

Oh grow up. Someone questions the logic of your OP, and the immediate response is to roll eyes and deny you said what you said. Read post #1 again. It referred to council tennants.

There was a horrible 'reality' programme on telly about this community in England which interview potential residents. It wasn't council but this middle class privately owned estate if I remember.

I watched half of one episode and quite frankly I couldn't stand it anymore. The people being filmed who were deciding who to let in displayed every concievable prejudice imaginable and were shown to be snobby, insular and sneering. I don't think that was the intention of the film makers, but watching it back some of the participants toes should have been curling.

EDIT:- Does anyone know the name of this programme?

Archived