Northern Ireland £20 note in use?

i was given a £20 note change , i realise its a northen ireland belfast note . can i still change it at my local bank ?

it is the later bluey note with h ferguson picture on it

it looks like this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/db/NorthernBankNI20.png/185px-NorthernBankNI20.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/65/NorthernBankNI20.jpg/185px-NorthernBankNI20.jpg

Northern Ireland money is sterling, the notes should be treated in exactly the same way as Bank of Scotland notes and Bank of England notes. The only reason you don't see them terribly often is most people visiting from Ulster will change the notes themselves before leaving Northern Ireland because of misinformation that alot of people here have about the cash. Southern Ireland uses Euros. It is true that some places won't accept Northern Irish notes as they don't know that they are sterling (and don't take the time to read them - it says sterling on it). If you're nervous about attempting to reuse them your bank will accept them.

Actually Northern Ireland and Scotland notes are not 'legal tender' anywhere, including Northern Ireland and Scotland. Retailers can refuse to accept them at their own discretion.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/about/faqs.htm#15

Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved.

Actually Northern Ireland and Scotland notes are not 'legal tender' anywhere, including Northern Ireland and Scotland. Retailers can refuse to accept them at their own discretion.

This is irrelavent. The article quoted goes on to say "the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application". In reality a retailer has the right to refuse any transaction including those involving bank of england notes. If they want to turn down cash that a bank happily accepts that's their decision. People's reaction to Northern Irish bank notes are just fear of the unfamiliar "I've not seen that before - run away!"

This is irrelavent. The article quoted goes on to say "the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application". In reality a retailer has the right to refuse any transaction including those involving bank of england notes. If they want to turn down cash that a bank happily accepts that's their decision. People's reaction to Northern Irish bank notes are just fear of the unfamiliar "I've not seen that before - run away!"

It isn't irrelevant - the fact that they aren't legal tender is what leads to the notes being refused for transactions, even if that refusal is based on misinformation about the meaning of legal tender.

vendors might not want to accept it because they're wary that it might be a fake. But if the note is genuine you will obviously be able to deposit it in a bank, or buy something with it in somewhere like a Post Office, where staff ought to be trained enough to take one look and feel to see that it's a perfectly valid UK banknote. Whatever you do, don't bring it with you abroard on holiday. You'll have enough trouble exchanging Scottish notes, never mind NI ones.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/about/faqs.htm#15

This is the case with any money proffered, the retailer can accept or refuse it at their own discretion as long as refusal is not based on race, creed or colour etc.

vendors might not want to accept it because the banknote is too dirty, or too wet. It might be torn, or in some way damaged. They'll ask the proferrer if they have anything better to tender. If the proferrer hasn't got anything else to tender, then the vendor has a choice of either accepting the dodgy banknote, or else telling the proferrer to go <removed> themselves.

Archived