Would you like some water madame?

On Saturday evening we were dining at a fairly expensive restaurant. The waiter came to the table and picked up the wine and started to top up the glasses. I indicated that I didn't want more wine as I was driving and the waiter asked, "would you like some water madame?" I said that would be nice thank you.

2 minutes later the waiter returned with a bottle of Buxton Water for which £3.95 was added to the bill.

It wasn't a big thing, but I felt cheated. I was expecting a glass of water with perhaps a bit of ice, not a litre bottle of water which I sipped at and left most behind.

What do others think about the sale of bottled water in such circumstances?

Guest sibon
On Saturday evening we were dining at a fairly expensive restaurant. The waiter came to the table and picked up the wine and started to top up the glasses. I indicated that I didn't want more wine as I was driving and the waiter asked, "would you like some water madame?" I said that would be nice thank you.

2 minutes later the waiter returned with a bottle of Buxton Water for which £3.95 was added to the bill.

It wasn't a big thing, but I felt cheated. I was expecting a glass of water with perhaps a bit of ice, not a litre bottle of water which I sipped at and left most behind.

What do others think about the sale of bottled water in such circumstances?

I'd have rejected it in the first place. Then I'd have asked for a glass of tap water. With a lovely smile on my face. I'd let them know at the end of my meal that I wouldn't be back again.

It is quite a big thing really, I bet that your coffees didn't cost much more at the end of the meal.

I think if someone in a restaurant offered me water they meant tap water unless otherwise specified!

Unfortunatley you are very much mistaken. Nearly all restaurants have a selection of mineral water on their menu and this would automatically be given unless you clearly specify TAP WATER.

Waiters are sneaky and will often ask if you would like water for the table before you even get chance to sit down. Its a nice little earner to have a couple of bottles of horrogate spa or whatever added to the bill.

Ask for tap water!

Especially in Sheffield where the tap water is good. There's some parts of the country where the tap water is nasty stuff, but Sheffield water is as good as anything you can buy in a bottle.

When I was a project manager and ate out every night of the week, this happened invariably on just about every occasion. It's pretty sneaky and really hard to drink a full bottle of water on your own.

I was in Balty King last saturday, I was offered the menu. My mate had done some work on the kitchens and said they were...... well. I was drunk but had the ability to let my brain say Leave now.

Archived