Would you like some water madame?

People are too shy about stuff like this. I would have simply sent it back and asked for tap water instead. They really wouldn't have minded.

As ECCOnoob said, in lots of places you need to specify tap water.

We probably should have just sent it back. Of course the waiter had broken the seal on the bottle to make you feel guilty about doing that, and we were with friends and not wanting to make a fuss.

The food was excellent and we normally just add 10% as a tip. I made sure that that amount was reduced by £4.

We probably should have just sent it back. Of course the waiter had broken the seal on the bottle to make you feel guilty about doing that, and we were with friends and not wanting to make a fuss.

The food was excellent and we normally just add 10% as a tip. I made sure that that amount was reduced by £4.

Or did he break the seal on the bottle so he could fill it from the tap?

It does not matter if he had broken the seal. He should break it in front of you on the first place, so you can see it is a new bottle. In my opinion you should have returned it. The waiter should have let you choose the water. It was his mistake!

It is the same with beer or wine. The waiter may ask you if you want some wine, and to bring you the most expensive bottle or he can just bring you a glass of wine, am I right?

Ask for tap water!

Tap water is and should still be chargable as a service as long as its with ice and lemon if required, the business has to wash the glass,pay staff to serve it, supply the glass and pay the water rates! why should it be free?

Tap water is and should still be chargable as a service as long as its with ice and lemon if required, the business has to wash the glass,pay staff to serve it, supply the glass and pay the water rates! why should it be free?

Are you kidding? I've never paid for tap water! I've never been asked to and never expect to. Perhaps I'm just lucky enough to go to places that like to keep their customers happy.:)

EDIT: Also, I think I'm right in saying that restaurants are legally required to provide free tap water if requested.

Are you kidding? I've never paid for tap water! I've never been asked to and never expect to. Perhaps I'm just lucky enough to go to places that like to keep their customers happy.:)

EDIT: Also, I think I'm right in saying that restaurants are legally required to provide free tap water if requested.

I thought that too, but turns out I'm wrong.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/aug/30/consumeraffairs.activists

Although perhaps the new government is sticking up for consumers:

http://www.ccwater.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.736

Archived