Would you like some water madame?

I thought that too, but turns out I'm wrong.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/aug/30/consumeraffairs.activists

Although perhaps the new government is sticking up for consumers:

http://www.ccwater.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.736

I think the info in the first link may be out of date as the law was changed in 2010 (I think!!). However, regardless of the legal position, it makes very poor business sense to charge for tap water. I usually tip at least 10% of the bill, but I wouldn't tip a penny if I was charged for tap water. And I wouldn't go back! Happily, most of the places I've been too recently have bought a free jug of water to the table soon after arrival.

i don't see the problem in them bringing you the water thats on the menu if you didn't specify tap water.

I would have assumed if they were offering me drinks from the drinks menu they would have asked if I wanted to see the menu. I wasn't asked if I wanted a J20 or a Coke. I was asked if I would like some water.

I think it was sharp practice, but they gained nothing from it as I cut the tip. It also left a bad impression that may cloud my opinion about booking there in future. Our bill for 4 diners was over £140 plus drinks. That is a lot of business to jeopardise for a £4 bottle of water.

I would have assumed if they were offering me drinks from the drinks menu they would have asked if I wanted to see the menu. I wasn't asked if I wanted a J20 or a Coke. I was asked if I would like some water.

I think it was sharp practice, but they gained nothing from it as I cut the tip. It also left a bad impression that may cloud my opinion about booking there in future. Our bill for 4 diners was over £140 plus drinks. That is a lot of business to jeopardise for a £4 bottle of water.

Totally agree! The waiter must had specified on the kind of water he's offering. It is his job to offer and when there are several opportunities he has to ask the customer which one to choose (no matter how prestigious and expensive the restaurant is). Moreover, he had broken the seal of the bottle before he brought it to you, which is not right at all.

Tap water is and should still be chargable as a service as long as its with ice and lemon if required, the business has to wash the glass,pay staff to serve it, supply the glass and pay the water rates! why should it be free?

Yes, that would be true if you had simply just walked in and asked JUST for water, but I think it should be free if you are spending lots of cash on other food and drinks.

Tap water is and should still be chargable as a service as long as its with ice and lemon if required, the business has to wash the glass,pay staff to serve it, supply the glass and pay the water rates! why should it be free?

I suspect the sort of restaurant that charges for tap water also charges for toilet paper and soap should you need to use them. Someone has to buy them and clean the toilets as well as paying for the water you use.

Such establishments are best avoided.

On Saturday evening we were dining at a fairly expensive restaurant.
The answer lies in these two words, which appear to have been overlooked by many posters.

It would be interesting to know which restaurant, foxy lady.

E.g., would you really expect to be served tap water by default at a michelin star-aspiring restaurant? ;)

Perhaps. But cutting the tip doesn't really do much. The restaurant still turned over £4 and earnt profit on that (probably a fair percentage actually).

Archived