Old Sheffield Postcards

Lostrider

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by tiffy

Wow Lostrider, are these part of your own collection?

Have you shared these with picture.com based at Sheffield City Library?

Yes, they are & I do intend to let the Libraries have them eventually. I just need to copy them all first.

I also have an 8mm movie for the archives, of the demolition of the cooling tower which stood next to the two surviving towers next to the M1 at Meadowhall. I filmed it in 1970ish. It was the only one which could be demolished by explosive as the other two were too near the M1. Some problem with insurance I think.

• 4 years later...
I have quite a few old poscard views of sheffield.

Try the link below.

I will scan more eventually and add them to the site.

Hope you like em.Old Sheffield Postcards

A great set of postcards. I particularly like those of the old mills. I have an ancestor who died in the Great Sheffield Flood when he was working in the first mill below the dam. Its interesting to see what a typical mill looked like.

Where was the Ruskin Museum? ( I haven't lived in Sheffield for over 30 years so have forgotten it if I ever knew about it !).

John

Where was the Ruskin Museum? ( I haven't lived in Sheffield for over 30 years so have forgotten it if I ever knew about it !).

John

It is the large building in Meersbrook Park. Now occupied by Sheffield City Council's Parks, Woodland & Countyside dept.

Some nice pictures, Lostrider! I collect old Sheffield postcards, mostly of Rivelin, Wadsley and Hillsborough. Here is an early-1900s postcard view of Hillsborough Corner (it is postmarked 1906) together with a photo of the same scene taken almost a century later, in 1999:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/HillsboroughCorner19061999.jpg

Archived