Old Sheffield Postcards

Lostrider

Some nice pictures, Lostrider! I collect old Sheffield postcards, mostly of Rivelin, Wadsley and Hillsborough. Here is an early-1900s postcard view of Hillsborough Corner (it is postmarked 1906) together with a photo of the same scene taken almost a century later, in 1999:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/HillsboroughCorner19061999.jpg

Fabulous photo, thank you for posting. I see the curved building has gained a whole second floor.

Some nice pictures, Lostrider! I collect old Sheffield postcards, mostly of Rivelin, Wadsley and Hillsborough. Here is an early-1900s postcard view of Hillsborough Corner (it is postmarked 1906) together with a photo of the same scene taken almost a century later, in 1999:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/HillsboroughCorner19061999.jpg

Not one person on the street on the second one, they must have all got on the tram...great photos.

I’ve sorted out another four postcards that give a glimpse of the past. Here are two monochrome views of Hillsborough Corner – the upper one is postmarked 1936 (older forummers might remember Wood's toy shop and Hemmines grocers, both at the left side) and the lower one 1909 (note the Hillsbro Inn kept by "Richard Snook" and W. Bush's grocers across the road - his son Reginald P. Bush had a shop opposite Hillsborough Park until the 1960s):

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/HillsboroughCorner.jpg

And here are two coloured pre-WW1 views; one of Hillsborough Corner looking towards town (Wilson & Wood's single-storey ironmonger's shop at the left survives - it's now an off-licence) and one of the Midland Station (Platform 5 - the sign for the "Ladies Room" and "Station Master" can be seen behind the newsstand - where the "Daily Herald" is on sale):

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/HCornerMidlandStation.jpg

I see the photo of Midland station describes it as the "new" Midland station. I have checked and it was opened in 1870. 2 extra platforms and a new frontage were added in 1905.

So that postcard would appear to date ftom 1870 ! Does that seem right? I doubt it would be referred to as new when it only had 2 platforms added in 1905.

I know what you mean, johnpm, and the Midland Railway was indeed something of a latecomer to Sheffield (they by-passed us in the 1830s rather than build Bradway Tunnel, and built the line from Chesterfield to Rotherham via Beighton). And coincidentally, postcards (sent at a cheaper rate of postage - i.e. ½d - also date from 1870). But picture postcards could not be sent until 1894, and until 1902 the address only could be written on the back, with any message on the front (which often had a space cleared for this). The GPO changed the rules in 1902, so that "divided back" cards (with half the space for the address and the other half for a message) could be sent, and this is a divided-back card. Although there was often a delay of a few years between a photo being taken and a postcard being published or sold, I think this is an early-1900s card. If the billboard (5th from the left) headed "HERALD" does indeed refer to the Daily Herald as I guessed, then this gives a clue, as the Daily Herald was not established until 1911.

So I think that we should perhaps view the word "new" in a very broad sense. In fact, until she died in 2006, my mother always referred to Rivelin Valley Road as the "new road". Her own mother could remember it being built in 1907!

• 1 year later...

Archived