Going off grid and starting a small self suffient community

Yep, just come out of the woodwork when it suites great, ill just keep on paying my taxes then .ALL on board for the gravy train.

The present system. Tell me when you opted in? tell me also when were you given a choice?

If you have a problem paying your taxes then opt out.

Isolating yourself from humanity? How does that work if a dozen or so families are involved?

Going off grid is isolating yourself from the system, not humanity. IMO.

You're suggesting that they go off the grid but remain within the system. A clear contradiction in terms.

Specifically, you're suggesting they go off the grid when it's a case of putting into the system, but staying on it when it's a case of taking out; which would be selfish in the extreme, not to mention illegal.

What are people going to do for money?

i think the point is you dont need money. if i raise a cow, kill it and cook it and feed your family, you will build a shelter to house my family. if he chops fire wood to heat my house i'll feed his family. if he chops you firewood you'll build him a house etc....... I really really like the idea of everyone earning their keep. however i couldn't adopt the lifestyle.

... but what happens when you get sick? Is it the witch doctor or the NHS?

Fair do's if it's a knowing tax paying compromise but not if it's a pretence.

OP, what's the plan?

i think the point is you dont need money. if i raise a cow, kill it and cook it and feed your family, you will build a shelter to house my family. if he chops fire wood to heat my house i'll feed his family. if he chops you firewood you'll build him a house etc....... I really really like the idea of everyone earning their keep. however i couldn't adopt the lifestyle.

I'll volunteer for the chopping wood position :cool:

Wanting to eat meat would vastly increase the space required; possibly so much so as to make the whole project unworkable, if indeed it's workable to begin with.

That entirely depends on what kind of meat you eat :gag:

10 plus families would take quite a large area of land. Possibly agricultural and wood land with a good water supply just for starters.

And near a bus stop!

I could never do anything like this - I'm far too deeply urbanised. Of course when society collapses we'll converge on you like a plague of locusts - prepare to defend yourselves!

I'd be interested in the maximum numbers for this kind of enterprise. Is it simply a thing for the Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstalls of the world, or a feasible alternative for everyone, if they chose to do it? (or neither)

That entirely depends on what kind of meat you eat

Not really. It takes ten pounds of vegetation to support one pound of animal; if the people in a community want to eat animal meat instead of eating the vegetation directly, there must be ten times as much vegetation to make it viable.

How would you get the land to build and farm on?

A piece of land big enough would cost a fair deal or are you hoping it would be given away? You would also need money to buy materials and equipment to build and set it up so where would that come from? Then there is the cost of livestock, seeds and plants etc which will be needed.

Its a great dream but it seems like an expensive up-hill struggle before it even gets established.

What will people be prepared to give up to achieve this?

Archived