Going off grid and starting a small self suffient community

this is a thread for people to discuss the theory and practice of setting up a small community of like minded individual's who wish to stop paying their mortgages, taxes, etc and live off the land in a self sufficient way in the country. In order to do this realistically the community will need to have at least 10 plus families or individuals who are in a position to sell up, quit their jobs and put their intelligence and resources into serious discussion. To consider practical planning and investigation of appropriate land and natural resources. The day to day practical skills and knowledge required to build shelter, grow food and generate energy from natural sources. A big task indeed, but i strongly believe this is what i need to do but without the we it is just a pipe dream. I have a small family and both myself and my partner work to make ends meet, we've had enough!

100 people £5000 each we could buy this and kit it out, live off the sea.

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=5040

What is there to "give up"?

That would depend on how far you would want take up the self sufficiency idea. Being self sufficient in food alone could probably work but that's only a small part of being truly self sufficient.

To be completely self sufficient you would need to give up most of what is classed as modern equipment and lifestyle. Basically it would be be like living back in the middle ages.

In order to do this realistically the community will need to have at least 10 plus families or individuals who are in a position to sell up, quit their jobs and put their intelligence and resources into serious discussion.

I have my doubts whether this would appeal to the vast majority of people who have spent half a lifetime accumulating considerable assets and future pensions, all of which would have to be sacrificed towards the communal project; ironically these are the type that would be invaluable to such a project as those without assets or appropriate skills couldn't contribute.

If electicity is to be generated, this means light bulbs and possibly power tools, vac cleaners, computers, irons, tv (licence?) etc. not forgetting that all wiring installations have to be checked and certified (fee) by qualified electrician.

A considerable capital investment would be required to purchase buildings and land, and then there would be ongoing costs such as buildings insurance. Also, it is unclear how, without money or income to pay for phone, internet and postal services, any communication with the outside world could be achieved, and (unless these skills resided within the community) money is required to pay for tradesmen and vets.

Perhaps the community might set up an investment fund to cover such things?

That would depend on how far you would want take up the self sufficiency idea. Being self sufficient in food alone could probably work but that's only a small part of being truly self sufficient.

To be completely self sufficient you would need to give up most of what is classed as modern equipment and lifestyle. Basically it would be be like living back in the middle ages.

No way im reverting

The present system. Tell me when you opted in? tell me also when were you given a choice?

If you have a problem paying your taxes then opt out.

I'm quite happy to pay my taxes always have, it's those that don't

but are quite happy to take what they can .I think you haven't read my post correctly.

i think the point is you dont need money. if i raise a cow, kill it and cook it and feed your family, you will build a shelter to house my family. if he chops fire wood to heat my house i'll feed his family. if he chops you firewood you'll build him a house etc....... I really really like the idea of everyone earning their keep. however i couldn't adopt the lifestyle.

How are people going to afford the ground rates and council tax?

You can't just go out and chop down trees, this isn't the wild west.

Doesn't planning permission to build a house require a fee?

What about .... everything?

Grow cannabis. That's what communes did back in the 60s:D

It's a perfect permaculture organism. As far as I'm aware there are no waste products when processing cannabis.

It certainly has the most uses of any green plant that I can think of.

What other plant can you use to build your home, insulate your home, heat your home, clothe yourself, feed yourself, feed your animals, power your generator, treat your glaucoma, make cordage, alleviate your nausea, make paper, and expand your mind?

Archived