Kissing up to China

I hope Cameron asked why China state agents keep hacking UK government departments and companies and trying to steal intellectual property.

...as well as locking up dissidents and generally being horrible.

I hope Cameron asked why China state agents keep hacking UK government departments and companies and trying to steal intellectual property.

Don't forget they will also disect the technology and copy it right down to the last.

Our current attitude towards China shouldn 't come as a surprise to anybody. Throughout history, countries with ' clout ' have usually got away with ' trivialities ' like Human Rights.

[ Incidentally how many poor people are executed in America vis-a-vis rich people and black people vis-a-vis white people ? does that fall under the heading of Human Rights ? ] China does NOT treat all its citizens with respect and is brutal towards those who are overtly anti-government.

However, I would hazard a guess that things are slowly improving in China and they might well get worse if we tried to isolate China economically. Also, we have to remember that the whole culture and attitude towards individual rights in China is very different from ours, mainly for historical reasons. Terrible things happened in China during the Japanese occupation and the 4 year civil war which followed. The only way the vast country could be united was by having a very tough, centralised system, almost to scare people into working and not fighting each other. [ rather like Tito in Yugoslavia or Stalin in Russia ]. Having said that, I 'm sure the Chinese government could now relax and give its people more freedom, politically. All we can do is to keep up our ties and give them a good example of what democracy is all about.

Our current attitude towards China shouldn 't come as a surprise to anybody. Throughout history, countries with ' clout ' have usually got away with ' trivialities ' like Human Rights.

[ Incidentally how many poor people are executed in America vis-a-vis rich people and black people vis-a-vis white people ? does that fall under the heading of Human Rights ? ] China does NOT treat all its citizens with respect and is brutal towards those who are overtly anti-government.

However, I would hazard a guess that things are slowly improving in China and they might well get worse if we tried to isolate China economically. Also, we have to remember that the whole culture and attitude towards individual rights in China is very different from ours, mainly for historical reasons. Terrible things happened in China during the Japanese occupation and the 4 year civil war which followed. The only way the vast country could be united was by having a very tough, centralised system, almost to scare people into working and not fighting each other. [ rather like Tito in Yugoslavia or Stalin in Russia ]. Having said that, I 'm sure the Chinese government could now relax and give its people more freedom, politically. All we can do is to keep up our ties and give them a good example of what democracy is all about.

I agree with most of your post. As for the highlighted bit- the kind of democracy here works for us here. We don't need to, nor should we feel we should 'teach' other countries how to do things the way we do things. Outside of religion that very kind of thinking has caused a lot of the problems history has left us with.

Archived