Who Was The First Pop Star You Saw Live?

Gene Autrey ( the singing cowboy ) at the Empire in the 50s i was taken to meet him at the stage door YE HA.

Oh I am so jealous, as a very young girl my most treasured possession was a signed photograph of Gene Autry that my sisters american penpal sent to me, I thought he was wonderful so much better than Roy Rogers

I remember seeing David Whitfield at The Alhambra (where Stars is now on Queens Road) it was an old time music hall like The Good Old Days, we wore daft hats and he was top of the bill, sang Rose Marie and Goodbye, I was only 16 at the time and had never heard of him.

Hold On I may be thinking of Joseph Locke?? anybody put me right?

I remember seeing David Whitfield at The Alhambra (where Stars is now on Queens Road) it was an old time music hall like The Good Old Days, we wore daft hats and he was top of the bill, sang Rose Marie and Goodbye, I was only 16 at the time and had never heard of him.

Can't say it was my choice to see him either but, mum and grandma were going so I got dragged along.

I'm assessing this to be about 1960, the same year I bought Johnny Tillotson "Poetry in Motion" and the Drifters "Save the Last Dance for Me".

Can't say it was my choice to see him either but, mum and grandma were going so I got dragged along.

I'm assessing this to be about 1960, the same year I bought Johnny Tillotson "Poetry in Motion" and the Drifters "Save the Last Dance for Me".

Probably not same person then as this was late 70's but he was pretty old by then too. The more I think about it the more I believe it was Joseph Locke though I had never heard of him either.

Hold On I may be thinking of Joseph Locke?? anybody put me right?

I think that may have been Joseph Locke, my dear mom loved them both but her real favourite was Mario Lanza

Archived