Mum missed her sons wedding

My Dad's mother and father loathed my Mother (and later me, for being their kid?) but still went to their wedding... My Mother always said that they were hypocrites for doing this, as they had no intention of wishing them well... It's a hard call whether someone who just doesn't like you should be at your wedding... Might be best that she didn't show?

My own dad tried to make as much of a nuisance of himself wrt our wedding as possible - like trying to stop my mum doing all the 'mother of the bride' things, and we had to organise the whole thing with a plan B in case he didn't turn up to give me away

The straw that broke the camel's back was him turning up late to H's naming party (missing the speeches), refusing to have anything to do with her whilst he was there (including not signing the guest book that's a keepsake for her), and leaving early

He no longer exists to me. He had his chance. I'm not bringing H up with her being upset and disappointed that he does things which kids think means somebody doesn't like them - she's worth more than that :)

My brother and I haven't spoke to our parents for 15yrs. Our sister is getting married in September we are all going we are nervous but wouldn't miss it for the world. In my opinion she shouldn't be called a mum if she couldn't put her son first for one day. After my sisters wedding we all know we will go back to not speaking but we all love our sister enough to get on with it for one day! Hope they had a lovely wedding she is the one to lose out in the long run.

I actually thought the bride was very attractive...

But, family rifts are very hard to solve- especially from

The outside. I've found that it requires both sides to make huge sacrifices... Perhaps instead of posting the torn up cheque for 100 pounds, he could have arranged a meeting with her?

At the end of the day, you can't chose your family, and you can't really chose your inlaws.. So you might just need to bear with it and hope that both parties come around.

Congratulations to the bride and groom anyway.

Archived