Thorntons closing 180 shops

Up to, up to 180, most of which they hope to replace with franchised stores.

Plus they are introducing more products so that they are not as reliant on seasonal trade.

Looks like forward thinking to me.

Who in their right mind is going to opt for a franchise though? If they could make enough money at the prices they want to sell it at, they'd be keeping them open themselves.

With all due respect Mr Vader ... good ice cream is expensive! When I, and I'm sure your goodself were kids, ice cream was considered a 'treat'

Nowadays, kids consider it 'de rigeur' for you to be considered a good parent!

I really don't like the Mr Whippy type stuff ... just chemicals!

'Bradwell's' and 'Our cow molly' is really OK along with 'Haagen Daaz' and the like (forgive spelling) ... however, quite expensive.

Due to the fact it's been quite hot recently I decided to make my own ice cream to save money.

I made two pints of it ... pint of cream, pint of milk, 8 egg yolks, half a pound of caster sugar, 4 bars of Lindt 90% cocoa chocolate, vanilla pods ... cost about £15.00! :gag::D

G/F said it was the best she'd ever tasted though! Far more expensive than anything you can buy (probably) but will certainly make it again (Bailey's and chocolate springs to mind!)

Try making it yourself ... it's easy but takes a while! :)

I don't think Thornton's could compare as they have to make so much of it, mainly I guess for kiddies.

That sounds very nice indeed.

To be honest, I didn't think the ice cream from Thorntons was that good that it warranted the price tag. Nothing like the gigantic lush ice cream cones you can get from Harbour Bar at Scarborough for £3.50. :love:

Some people will. There are many KFCs around, all of them are franchises. So obviously the model works.

Franchising does work but I think what Darth meant was if Thornton's can't make money from them then how easy will it be for a franchisee..?

Franchising does work but I think what Darth meant was if Thornton's can't make money from them then how easy will it be for a franchisee..?

Thornton's can (and do) make money from their shops (which they own), they just want to earn more (they haven't yet failed to make a profit, merely warned of lower profits earlier in the year) and they will be able to do so by renting the premises to the franchisers.

Thornton's will the (in all probability) offer the franchisers their products at a lower rate. The franchisers will then be able to set their own prices dependent on local circumstances.

Thornton's will the (in all probability) offer the franchisers their products at a lower rate..

At a lower rate than they supplied their own shops? It's a genuine question..how will they genrate larger profits by doing that?

At a lower rate than they supplied their own shops? It's a genuine question..how will they genrate larger profits by doing that?

I don't know. Thornton's are also expanding their internet presence, so they are expanding.

I also have a feeling that the franchises will be able to stock other products.

I want Maccy D's to go under, southern fried chicken, Pizza hut, KFC, and all those who peddle their mix of Salt, sugar and fat. Thorntons going passed their sell buy date is no great loss. The NHS would be better off and our children also.

Archived