Car brake problems

hi guys,

i'm a student, living with 6 other friends. We have all chipped in and have just bought a Toyota Avensis 2.0 D-4D GLS (7 seater MPV) 53 plate - 2004, to get us from and to university.

The vehicle has been brilliantly serviced/maintained by the previous owner and runs fine engine wise, but it has a problem with the braking:-

1. When at low speeds, the brake pedal has a pulse/grinding feeling when braking.

2. At high speeds, when braking harshly, we also feel the steering vibrate too.

The brake pads were only replaced in march this year and are quiet thick and car has hardly been driven (1000 miles since then).

I believe this vehicle has a 4-wheel braking system and as you can understand, we don't want to start replacing all the braking parts, as we could be looking at a high cost.

We so far have been told it could be any one or more of the following:-

• PADS
  • DISCS
  • SHOES
  • CALIPERS
  • TYRES
  • STEERING COLUMN
  • BUSH
  • BALANCING
  • TRACKING

:confused: Please please could you help or advice us as we are at tethers end trying to figure this out. :confused: Is there anyway we could look at the car ourselves and try to eliminate some of the issues to save money?

Thanks

Does sound like warped discs to me. I've had warped discs on my motorbikes before and they give that same feeling - you can check the runout using truman's method above, or if you don't have a dial gauge you can use a bit of chalk.

If they have warped you'll need to make sure the piston's aren't sieze causing the pads to drag and warp the disc as you'll just warp the new discs you put on.

The steering probably vibrates at high speed due to the pads grabbing at the disc more on the warped parts which probably causes some vibration through the wheels.

Archived