Car brake problems

I'd agree it sounds like warped discs. Do you get any pulling to one side or the other when braking?

Does the vibration occur only when breaking or all the time at higher speeds? A constant vibration at certain speeds can mean that the wheel balance is off.

I'd avoid Euro Car Parts like the plague though, they can't get anything right (trying to buy a part usually results in having to go back and forth several times trying to get them to give me the correct part for the correct car) and when they do, everything I've ever purchased from them has failed prematurely, apart from one thing which was a simple plastic flange with O ring.

hi guys,

i'm a student, living with 6 other friends. We have all chipped in and have just bought a Toyota Avensis 2.0 D-4D GLS (7 seater MPV) 53 plate - 2004, to get us from and to university.

The vehicle has been brilliantly serviced/maintained by the previous owner and runs fine engine wise, but it has a problem with the braking:-

1. When at low speeds, the brake pedal has a pulse/grinding feeling when braking.

2. At high speeds, when braking harshly, we also feel the steering vibrate too.

The brake pads were only replaced in march this year and are quiet thick and car has hardly been driven (1000 miles since then).

I believe this vehicle has a 4-wheel braking system and as you can understand, we don't want to start replacing all the braking parts, as we could be looking at a high cost.

We so far have been told it could be any one or more of the following:-

• PADS
  • DISCS
  • SHOES
  • CALIPERS
  • TYRES
  • STEERING COLUMN
  • BUSH
  • BALANCING
  • TRACKING

:confused: Please please could you help or advice us as we are at tethers end trying to figure this out. :confused: Is there anyway we could look at the car ourselves and try to eliminate some of the issues to save money?

Thanks

God help us, for a student you dont seem very bright do you. ALL CARS HAVE A FOUR WHEEL BRAKING SYSTEM unless its a Reliant 3 wheeler

God help us, for a student you dont seem very bright do you. ALL CARS HAVE A FOUR WHEEL BRAKING SYSTEM unless its a Reliant 3 wheeler

You can't expect everyone to know about cars, even simple stuff. If you've never been told/taught about it then you won't know. Maybe that's why the OP posted a thread asking for advice.

I was more surprised by the advice they've already been given:

We so far have been told it could be any one or more of the following:-

• PADS
  • DISCS
  • SHOES
  • CALIPERS
  • TYRES
  • STEERING COLUMN
  • BUSH
  • BALANCING
  • TRACKING

:o

hi guys,

thanks very much for your replies. I've had a forum member called "G-tech" contact me earlier and i spoke to him over the phone and he was very helpful. He's got a garage in sheffield and has said to bring the car down and he'll replace the front pads & discs for £135.

Just need to have a word with the rest of my housemates. Sorry we know very little about cars.

Take it to kwik fit for a free brakes test

You cannot be serious, never, ever take anything to Kwik fit, They don't do anything for nothing and will tell you you have serious problems and charge you 3 figures. Take it to honest mechanic such as Ian Kelly - Halifax Road, tel: 0114 285 2480 or 07976265034

hi denlin,

I've just rang both numbers, but no answer. Who is ian kelly and without sounding ungrateful / unappreciative for your advice how can i be sure he's as honest as i'll get or that he isn't some friend that anyone is just recommending?

Also he's over 40 miles away as we live in pudsey, so is there anyone else you can recommend?

thanks

hi denlin,

I've just rang both numbers, but no answer. Who is ian kelly and without sounding ungrateful / unappreciative for your advice how can i be sure he's as honest as i'll get or that he isn't some friend that anyone is just recommending?

Also he's over 40 miles away as we live in pudsey, so is there anyone else you can recommend?

thanks

You can't be sure! All you can have other people's word for it, which is why you came on here in the first place!

I have seen Ian kelly recommended on here before, as well as G-Tech and another one called Hather-Sage. If people are giving them the thumbs up then it can't hurt to ring them.

have rang g-tech and ian.

G-tech - Was brilliant, but he recommended that i try and get a garage closer to home.

Ian - Been ringing him all day, but no answer.

Hather-Sage - I don't know who he is, but if his garage is in sheffield, i'm looking at the same problem again of distance.

Since I don't simply want a mechanic for doing this single job, but a more permanant solution for all our car problems. Could you guys recommend a reputable mechanic/garage more closer to pudsey, bradford, leeds?

Thanks very much

Archived