Car brake problems

This is true. Free test, but then if they find a fault, they are required by law not to release the car until it is repaired, by them, at some stupid price.

Cobblers. They tried that on me once. They wouldnt let the car off the ramps so I arrested them.

When the dust settled VOSA said there was nothing wrong with the car so they also went after them for deception as well as extortion.

have rang g-tech and ian.

G-tech - Was brilliant, but he recommended that i try and get a garage closer to home.

Ian - Been ringing him all day, but no answer.

Hather-Sage - I don't know who he is, but if his garage is in sheffield, i'm looking at the same problem again of distance.

Since I don't simply want a mechanic for doing this single job, but a more permanant solution for all our car problems. Could you guys recommend a reputable mechanic/garage more closer to pudsey, bradford, leeds?

Thanks very much

Technically the discs are unlikely to be warped - it's more a materials problem on the surface. IT's what people call "warped" though and there is a good readup here if you really want to know...

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

It'll also tell you if you can finish it how to avoid the same problem in future.

As for a garage in Leeds I'm on the other side so can't help there but if you can hang on till tomorrow when I can find the info there is someone just up the road from Pudsey near Spen Lane that is well recommended - I'll post the info up later when I find it.

Technically the discs are unlikely to be warped - it's more a materials problem on the surface. IT's what people call "warped" though and there is a good readup here if you really want to know...

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

It'll also tell you if you can finish it how to avoid the same problem in future.

As for a garage in Leeds I'm on the other side so can't help there but if you can hang on till tomorrow when I can find the info there is someone just up the road from Pudsey near Spen Lane that is well recommended - I'll post the info up later when I find it.

Sorry Obelix but you are wrong, and anyone who knows about braking systems will agree. There is a simple test (called a run-out test) which shows if a disc is warped or not. It can be a common occurrence.

The site you have linked to is a marketing site for a supplier of racing components to to the motorsports industry.

First of all THANK YOU TO EVERYONE who has adviced me.

You won't believe this!!! :o

My mate has just popped over from birmingham to see me. He's not a mechanic, but knows a thing or two about cars. He said that i should try changing the nearside front alloy wheel+tyre thats slowly going bold and put on the spare wheel. Then drive and test the car brakes. So we did just that...

Guess wot? It seems to be the tyre!!! :D

I drove around and there is only extremely very light pulsing (hardly noticable), but i think thats because its a spare wheel, i.e. its thinner and only for emergencies and also the road surface was a bit bumpy.

Have I solved it?

Sorry Obelix but you are wrong, and anyone who knows about braking systems will agree. There is a simple test (called a run-out test) which shows if a disc is warped or not. It can be a common occurrence.

The site you have linked to is a marketing site for a supplier of racing components to to the motorsports industry.

So? It's still a valid analysis. I've looked at many many "warped" discs and I've seen one in perhaps twenty years of looking at them. That's a rather large sample size of street going vehicles.

Discs do have run out usually caused by incorrect mounting, poor quailty discs, or distorted hubs which does show as run out yes - but this is not a warping of the disc. IT does it left long enough lead to thickness variation on the disc whcih will give the same effect but it's not warping.

First of all THANK YOU TO EVERYONE who has adviced me.

You won't believe this!!! :o

My mate has just popped over from birmingham to see me. He's not a mechanic, but knows a thing or two about cars. He said that i should try changing the nearside front alloy wheel+tyre thats slowly going bold and put on the spare wheel. Then drive and test the car brakes. So we did just that...

Guess wot? It seems to be the tyre!!! :D

I drove around and there is only extremely very light pulsing (hardly noticable), but i think thats because its a spare wheel, i.e. its thinner and only for emergencies and also the road surface was a bit bumpy.

Have I solved it?

If the symptoms you gave in your opening post are correct, then I doubt it:

1. When at low speeds, the brake pedal has a pulse/grinding feeling when braking.

2. At high speeds, when braking harshly, we also feel the steering vibrate too.

The wheels are attached to the hub (via the bearing) and so are the brakes. If the wheel is going to wobble, then the whole hub wobbles with it, this shouldn't cause a pulsing in the brakes. The reason why warped discs cause pulsing is because the "wavy" shape of them forces the pads in and out as it rotates through them.

It MAY have been a contributing factor to the steering wobble, but I should imagine the main culprit is still your brakes.

I drove around and there is only extremely very light pulsing (hardly noticable), but i think thats because its a spare wheel, i.e. its thinner and only for emergencies and also the road surface was a bit bumpy

Again, a wheel wouldn't usually cause a brake pedal pulsation. I'm guessing you haven't tried it at high speeds yet (with it being a space-saver tyre). Why not try putting the rear tyres to the front, eliminating the tyre problem?

(Still sounds like the brakes to me!)

So? It's still a valid analysis. I've looked at many many "warped" discs and I've seen one in perhaps twenty years of looking at them. That's a rather large sample size of street going vehicles.

Discs do have run out usually caused by incorrect mounting, poor quailty discs, or distorted hubs which does show as run out yes - but this is not a warping of the disc. IT does it left long enough lead to thickness variation on the disc whcih will give the same effect but it's not warping.

We'll have to agree to differ on the basis of our own experiences then.

rootsbooster - so shall i take the 2 front wheels off and swap them with the 2 back wheels? Since the 2 front wheels have worn tyres, will it make any difference to the back or driving?

!!!!!:o!!!!!!

I think you need to sort your tyres out pronto! Worry about brake pulsing after!

Archived